Connect with us

Politics

Wike Paid ₦360 Million Bribe To Rig Elections In 2016, ₦114 Million Recovered

Published

on

Wike Paid ₦360 Million Bribe To Rig Elections In 2016, ₦114 Million Recovered
Spread the love

Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG), Joseph Egbonike, on Tuesday, said about N114,290 000 million out of N360 million bribe for the 2016 bye-election results allegedly offered by the Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike to 23 staff of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has been recovered.

The DIG of Police appeared before the House of Representatives Ad-hoc Committee on assessment and status of all recovered loot, movable and immovable assets from 2002 to 2020 on Tuesday.

The officer, who confirmed the development to the panel, explained that the actual money offered was N360 million which they discovered in the course of their investigation, saying that the officers of the electoral umpire were actually involved but couldn’t recover the entire funds since 2016 that it happened.

The officer who appeared on the invitation of the panel when asked by the chairman to emphasise exactly what the money was meant for said: “There was a governorship rerun in 2016 between Governor Nyeaom Wike of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the main opposition at that time, which was the All Progressives Congress (APC), and the sum of N360 million money was offered as bribe to Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) officials during the 2016 rerun governorship election in Rivers State.”

ALSO READ:  Anambra 2021: APGA NWC Splits Over Plot To Disqualify Umeoji.

The Police said, those who benefitted from the governor were 23 in number, out of which only N114,290,000 million could be recovered since that time.

Responding to a number of questions by the panel members in a cross-examination from documents and exhibits previously submitted to the Committee, the DIG further explained that the matter has been taken to Court after the conclusion of the police investigation.

According to him, all the accused have been prosecuted at the Federal High Court in Port-Harcourt, but the judgement which was delivered in favour of the Federal government was appealed against hence, it was still pending.

“The said matter is still in court and I wouldn’t want to speak much on it, but the said amount you are referring to was recovered from 23 officials of INEC during the 2016 rerun elections of the National and State Assembly which was rigged in favour of PDP.

ALSO READ:  It's Criminal to Equate N’Delta Militants with Bandits - Clark

“Although, the persons involved have been prosecuted and convicted, the matter has been appealed and not dispensed.

Meanwhile, the police report and other related documents which were obtained by DAILY POST on Tuesday after the Committee sitting, showed a recovery of the sum of N114 290,000 by the Nigeria Police, Rivers State Command out of N136 million from INEC staff.

Part of the Police report read:

“On 10th December 2016, during the National and State Assembly rerun elections in Rivers State, efforts were put to rig the said election through inducement, bribery and intimidation of electoral officials, as the sum of three hundred and sixty million naira (N360, 000,000.00) was given by governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State, to twenty three (23) electoral officials, deployed to Rivers State from Anambra, Oyo and Plateau States, to compromise and influence the outcome of the election.

ALSO READ:  Gov. Makinde, The Best Option For PDP In The South West

“Consequently, on receipt of the intelligence, our investigation panel under the IGP Monitoring unit was set up, following which the sum of 114 million, two hundred and and ninety thousand (114, 290, 000.00) was recovered from the 23 INEC officials and deposited into the Central Bank of Nigeria.

“Account Name: IGP Special Joint Investigation Panel on Rivers Re-run Election of 10/12/2016 with Remita Retrieval Reference number 3401-58076328.

Details of payment and breakdown of the recovery are attached here.

Appendix ‘C&C1-Summary of recovery from 23 INEC Officials

C2-Payment slips into CBN Account Zenith Bank with Remita Retrieve reference number 3401-5807-6328.

“All suspects are being prosecuted before the Federal High Court, Port Harcourt, River State by the Attorney General and Minister of Justice of the Federation”.

Meanwhile, a text message and calls made to the Special Adviser on Media to Rivers State governor, Mr. Kelvin Ebiri, not returned before filing this report.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

PUNCH News Headlines Trending In Politics, Today, 24th September, 2021

Published

on

By

PUNCH News Headlines Trending In Politics, Today, 24th September, 2021
Spread the love

PUNCH News Headlines Trending In Politics, Today, 24th September, 2021 As Listed By Chrysora Media

Pensioners’ hardship worsens as states owe backlogs of gratuities

Pensioners’ hardship worsens as states owe backlogs of gratuities

Some pensioners during protest


State governments including Kano, Benue, Osun, Delta, Ekiti, Ondo, Ogun, Rivers and Kwara are currently owing pensioners many of whom are dying without receiving their entitlements.
Labour leaders and officials of the Nigerian Union of Pensioners, who spoke to The PUNCH in separate interviews on Thursday, said besides failing to remit the contributory pensions, retirees on the defined benefit scheme were being owed.
But state officials attributed the delay in paying pensions and gratuities to the poor economy of the country and assured that the entitlements would be paid as soon as their cash flow improved.
The defined benefit scheme is the pension scheme that was in effect before the adoption and payment of pensions to new retirees under the CPS as stipulated by the Pension Reform Act…..
Continue reading….

Akeredolu canvasses second term for Oyetola

Akeredolu canvasses second term for Oyetola

Oyetola


Ondo State Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu, on Thursday said by giving his Osun State counterpart, Adegboyega Oyetola, another four years in office, the state would gain more from him.
Akeredolu spoke on the sidelines of 30th anniversary of the creation of Osun, where 28 distinguished and prominent citizens of the state were honoured.
The Ondo State helmsman, who said achieving milestone of 30 year was worth celebrating, noted that “it has been a wonderful celebration having identified those who build, the founding fathers of this state and those who have contributed to the development of this state is now been given award, I think the government is doing very well…..
Continue reading….

Adamawa PDP councilors pass no confidence vote on LG chairman
Adamawa PDP councilors pass no confidence vote on LG chairman
Eight out of ten Peoples Democratic Party councilors in Demsa Local Government Council, on Thursday passed a vote of no confidence on the Chairman, Gibson Pwadadi.
The councilors accused Pwadadi of anti-party activities. They specifically accused him of divisiveness and loyalty to Senator Grace Bent, former PDP BOT member who defected to the All Progressive Congress.
Speaking on behalf of party stakeholders from the council, Samson Kumbita told reporters in Yola that the decision was sequel to a series of alleged infractions by the chairman…..
Continue reading….

PUNCH News Headlines Trending In Politics, Today, 24th September, 2021

2023: Jega, Utomi’s group to set conditions for APC, PDP on candidates

2023: Jega, Utomi’s group to set conditions for APC, PDP on candidates

Professors Pat Utomi and Attahiru Jega


The emerging third force in Nigeria’s political space is set to force political parties to adopt certain criteria in selecting candidates for various public offices in the 2023 general elections.
Several prominent Nigerians, including a former Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Attahiru Jega, and a political economist, Professor Pat Utomi, have teamed up to sack the ruling All Progressives Congress and the biggest opposition party, the Peoples Democratic Party, from the political space in the 2023 general elections.
They are to unveil a mega political movement to be known as ‘Rescue Nigeria Project’ on October 1…..
Continue reading….

National Assembly’s approval unnecessary for e-transmission of results – REC

National Assembly’s approval unnecessary for e-transmission of results – REC

Ogun State Residence Electoral Commissioner, Olusegun Agbaje


THE Ogun State Residence Electoral Commissioner, Olusegun Agbaje, has said the commission does not need the backing of the National Assembly and the approval of the National Communication Commission to transmit election results electronically.
Agbaje disagreed with the National Assembly’s position that the Independent National Electoral Commission had no constitutional backing to transmit election results electronically without the approval of NCC.
Agbaje said this on Thursday while speaking at a press briefing as the new REC in the state.
The National Assembly had insisted that the commission must seek the approval of NCC before transmitting election results electronically….
Continue reading….

Click here for more updates

ALSO READ:  Papers Filed Against Tinubu, Alpha Beta Burnt In Court —lawyer
Continue Reading

Politics

Age Limits For The Presidential Aspirants Should Be…- Obi

Published

on

By

Age Limits For The Presidential Aspirants Should not Be…- Obi
Spread the love

Age Limits For The Presidential Aspirants Should Be…- Obi

Vice Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party in the 2019 general election, Mr Peter Obi, has recommended a 60-80 years age range for aspirants vying for the office of president of the country.

The former Anambra State governor also said those vying for the office of governor should not exceed 60 years.

This was contained in a statement signed by his media aide, Valentine Obienyem, in Awka, on Thursday. He issued the statement to clarify what his principal said while campaigning for the Anambra PDP governorship candidate, Valentine Ozigbo.

ALSO READ:  Before 2023 APC Will Dominate More Igbo States – Ohanaeze

The statement read in part,” Obi, known for issue-based campaign in his speech at Aguata, Orumba North and South, and few other places, on Tuesday and Wednesday, pointed out numerous projects he did across the State, from roads through schools to security, and appealed to the people of these areas to vote for Mr Ozigbo for possessing the capacity and youthful age to deliver.

“He also said that whilst the other two contestants have had the opportunity to help their people and did nothing, that Ozigbo would be the clear difference.

“Obi said that the two out of three major contestants were over 60 years, while Mr Val Ozigbo is 50. He therefore concluded that Val possessed the ideal age for governorship at sub-national level, which he put between 40 and 60.”

ALSO READ:  Anambra 2021: APGA NWC Splits Over Plot To Disqualify Umeoji.

“Obi even went on to say that it was the experience garnered at that (governorship) level that would contribute to the success of leadership at the presidential level, which he put at between 60 and 80 years. “

Continue Reading

Politics

Buhari’s Sectionalism In Making Appointments Increasing Division – Ortom

Published

on

By

Buhari’s Sectionalism In Making Appointments Increasing Division - Ortom
Spread the love

Buhari’s Sectionalism In Making Appointments Increasing Division – Ortom

Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue State on Thursday accused the President, Major General Muhammad Buhari (retd.), of promoting nepotism and acts of sectionalism in all his appointments.

Ortom, who said such act violated the principle of federal character as enshrined in the constitution, added that the lopsided federal appointments and other acts of sectionalism had divided Nigeria more than ever.

The governor stated this in Enugu during a lecture organised by the Nigeria Union of Journalists, Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria, Enugu chapel, with the theme, ‘Emerging security situation in the South-East: the place of good governance” held in Enugu.

ALSO READ:  Anambra 2021: APGA NWC Splits Over Plot To Disqualify Umeoji.

He said, “The lopsided federal appointments, nepotism and other acts of sectionalism, particularly from 2015 to date, have divided Nigeria now more than at any other time in the country’s history.

“The Federal Character Principle as enshrined in the constitution has been abused and abandoned by the present administration. This is where leadership has failed Nigerians and good governance has also been relegated to the back seat.

Buhari’s Sectionalism In Making Appointments Increasing Division – Ortom

“Eastern Nigeria, like other parts of the country, deserves equal attention with the provision of critical infrastructure and development projects, as well as allocation of resources and key appointments at the federal level.”

ALSO READ:  Yahaya Bello: Why Tinubu Should Not Succeed Buhari

Ortom, who said he would never be cowed, maintained that the All Progressives Congress government had failed in every area.

He said the Federal Government was busy fighting perceived opposition while at the same time looking the other way amid mindless killing and maiming of Nigerians by herdsmen.

“The present administration at the centre has adopted the approach of intimidation of those who dare to voice out their frustrations and concerns over growing insecurity and marginalisation.

“But I, Samuel Ortom, will never keep quiet as long as injustice and marginalisation prevail in the affairs of our country,” he added.

Continue Reading

Trending