Connect with us

World

Trump and Pence were among the top officials who spoke at CPAC where one on the attendee had Coronavirus

Published

on

Spread the love

White House press sec. Stephanie Grisham on CPAC attendee who tested positive for coronavirus: “At this time there is no indication that either President Trump or Vice President Pence met with or were in close proximity to the attendee.”

The American Conservative Union group said in a statement that one of its attendees at the Conservative Political Action Conference just outside Washington, D.C., last week has tested positive for COVID-19.

Trump and Pence were among the top officials who spoke at CPAC.

ALSO READ:  TylerPerry says "Never Give Up", as he bares his heart in an exclusive feature for People Magazine.
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

‘Chadian soldiers sell arms when broke’ — Nigerian navy laments arms proliferation

Published

on

By

‘Chadian soldiers sell arms when broke’ — Nigerian navy laments arms proliferation
Spread the love

‘Chadian soldiers sell arms when broke’ — Nigerian navy laments arms proliferation

The Nigerian navy says some neighbouring countries do not have armouries, making it difficult for Nigeria to fight arms proliferation.

Awwal Gambo, chief of naval staff, who was represented by Jemila Sadiq Abubakar, a commodore, spoke on Monday at a public hearing organised by the house of representatives committee on national security and intelligence on the consideration of four security bills.

‘Chadian soldiers sell arms when broke’ — Nigerian navy laments arms proliferation

While making a contribution to the bill seeking to establish a national commission against the proliferation of small arms and light weapons, Abubakar said the weapons donated by developed countries to neighbouring nations are “compounding” Nigeria’s security challenges.

ALSO READ:  Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan tests positive for coronavirus, admitted to Nanavati hospital

She said the lack of armouries in some of the neighbouring countries makes arms available to their security operatives who in turn sell it off when they are “broke”.

Continue Reading

World

Mali may delay post-coup elections, says interim PM

Published

on

By

Mali may delay post-coup elections, says interim PM
Spread the love

Mali may delay post-coup elections, says interim PM

Mali may push back presidential and legislative elections from late February to avoid their validity being contested, the country’s prime minister, Choguel Maiga, handling a post-coup transition has said.

Mali’s progress back to democracy following the August 2020 overthrow of President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita is being closely monitored in a region that has experienced four coups in 13 months, two of them in Mali.

Under pressure from the Economic Community of West African States, a regional bloc, Mali’s new military leaders agreed to an 18-month transition that would culminate with presidential and legislative elections on February 27, 2022.

ALSO READ:  Explained: Pakistan's emotive blasphemy laws

But in an interview with Radio France International and France24 on Sunday, Mali’s interim prime minister, Choguel Maiga, said that date could be postponed by “two weeks, two months, a few months.”

“[The electoral calendar] was based on the requirements of ECOWAS without asking what practical steps must be taken to get there.

“The main thing for us is less to stick to Feb. 27 than to hold elections that will not be contested,” Maiga said.

Mali may delay post-coup elections, says interim PM

Maiga said a final date would be determined by late October.

ECOWAS has not yet responded.

Last month the bloc said it would impose sanctions, including asset freezes, on anyone holding up preparations for Mali’s elections.

ALSO READ:  Donald Trump Resigns From the US Actors Union

Maiga also addressed reports that Mali is close to a deal with a Russian company, the Wagner Group, to hire private military contractors to help fight Islamist insurgents.

“We are at the stage of rumours and often even disinformation,” he said.

According to him, it will be announced as soon as Mali agrees on a deal with any country or partner.

“We will have no shame in making it public,” he said.

Diplomatic and security sources told Reuters Mali was close to a deal with the Wagner Group.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Saturday the Malian authorities had turned to a private military company from Russia.

ALSO READ:  Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan tests positive for coronavirus, admitted to Nanavati hospital

The possibility of such a deal has triggered opposition from France, which has said the involvement of Russian military contractors was incompatible with a continued French presence in the West African state.

(Reuters/NAN)

Continue Reading

World

China Releases Two Canadian Detained For Morethan 1000 Days

Published

on

By

China Releases Two Canadian Detained For Morethan 1000 Days
Michael Kovrig (left) and Michael Spavor (right), two Canadian citizens detained in China on espionage charges, have been released after nearly three years, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said.
Spread the love

China Releases Two Canadian Detained For Morethan 1000 Days

Two Canadians detained by China for nearly three years have been released, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Friday night.

Trudeau said Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor boarded a plane headed for Canada at about 7:30 p.m. ET Friday night and would land in Canada sometime Saturday.

“These two men have gone through an unbelievably difficult ordeal for the past 1,000 days, they have shown strength, perseverance and grace and we are all inspired by that,” said Trudeau at a late evening news conference in Ottawa.

Trudeau would not discuss details about how their release came about but he thanked Canadian
Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor have been held in China since late 2018. They were arrested on espionage charges in China shortly after the arrest of Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou on a US warrant related to the company’s business dealings in Iran. However, China has consistently denied that the cases were in any way connected.

ALSO READ:  "We WILL HIT VERY FAST AND VERY HARD IF IRAN STRIKES ANY AMERICAN”- TRUMP

Earlier Friday, the United States Department of Justice and Meng reached an agreement to defer prosecution of US charges against her until late 2022, after which point the charges could be dropped.

China Releases Two Canadian Detained For Morethan 1000 Days

The US case centered on whether Meng misled HSBC bank about Huawei’s relationship with an Iranian subsidiary, Skycom, which the US alleges would have violated US sanctions against Iran.

Meng appeared virtually in a court in Brooklyn, New York, and pleaded not guilty to charges of conspiracy to commit bank fraud, bank fraud, conspiracy to commit wire fraud, and wire fraud.

ALSO READ:  George Floyd’s family urges U.S. police reform on anniversary of his death

However, as part of the deal, Meng confirmed the statement of facts in the deferred prosecution agreement are true. Those facts include that she misrepresented Huawei’s relationship with Skycom to HSBC, according to court documents. If she says or implies otherwise, it could violate the terms of the deal and result in her prosecution.
CNN affiliate CTV News says it has confirmed that Meng left Canada aboard a private jet Friday evening.

Cnn.com

Continue Reading

Trending