Connect with us

Health

Six Hospital Mangers Sacked For Refusing To Take Covid19 Vaccine

Published

on

Six Hospital Mangers Sacked For Refusing To Take Covid19 Vaccine
Spread the love

Six Hospital Mangers Sacked For Refusing To Take Covid19 Vaccine

A New Jersey hospital axed six supervisor-level employees for refusing to get vaccinated against the coronavirus, reports said.

RWJBarnabas Health had required supervisory workers to get jabbed by June 30, and now the system plans to expand that requirement to all of its staff and doctors, northjersey.com reported.

“As of July 14, 2,979 staff members, or 99.7 percent, who are at the supervisor level and above, have been fully vaccinated or received medical and religious exemptions or a deferral,” the company said in a statement to NBC News on Wednesday.

ALSO READ:  PTF APPROVES 3 LOCAL CURE FOR COVID-19

“Regrettably, six staff at the supervisor level and above have not complied with the mandate and are no longer employees of RWJBH, per our policy.”

The health care industry itself has not been immune to the debate over whether employers can and should require workers to get vaccinated.

Six Hospital Mangers Sacked For Refusing To Take Covid19 Vaccine

Some 150 workers at the Houston Methodist Hospital either quit or were fired after they refused to get vaccinated by last month.

The departures capped a lengthy tussle between workers and hospital brass over the requirement that ended up in court.

US District Judge Lynn Hughes tossed the workers suit and called the workers’ claim false that the vaccines are experimental.

ALSO READ:  FG Says Morethan 3m Children In Nigeria Are Not Immunized

The judge made a distinction in her ruling between an employment requirement and a forced inoculation.

“If a worker refuses an assignment, changed office, earlier start time, or other directive, he may be properly fired,” the judge wrote.

“Every employment includes limits on the worker’s behavior in exchange for remuneration. That is all part of the bargain.”

Nypost.com

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

COVID-19: 109 NYSC Members Test Positive, 17 Admitted

Published

on

By

COVID-19: 109 NYSC Members Test Positive, 17 Admitted
Spread the love

COVID-19: 109 NYSC Members Test Positive, 17 Admitted

There is panic currently at the various camps of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) across the country, as at least 109 prospective corps members were diagnosed with COVID-19.

The NYSC orientation camps were opened at the weekend for Batch B, Stream 1 of this year’s season of the national youth service.

The cases were detected following mandatory COVID-19 tests conducted on reporting corps members. The identified cases, our reporters gathered, have been moved to isolation centres in the respective states.

NYSC officials at the states level have constituted COVID-19 Vanguard, a team to aid enforce compliance to health protocols on the camps.

ALSO READ:  Delta Hospital Rejects Patients Over Lack Of Adequate Manpower, Drugs

The federal government had, on Monday, raised the alarm over the spread of the contagious Delta variant of the virus to more states, as authorities mull fresh lockdown for the worst-hit states.

Data obtained from the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) shows a sharp spike in incidences with 851 cases recorded in the first two days of August.

COVID-19: 109 NYSC Members Test Positive, 17 Admitted

In Edo State, 17 corps members tested positive for the virus at the point of registration.

Meanwhile, the Chief Medical Director (CMD), Stella Obasanjo Hospital, Edo State, Dr Osagie Ebomwonyi, has disclosed that 17 corps members in the state are currently receiving COVID-19 treatment at the hospital’s isolation centre.

ALSO READ:  FG Says Morethan 3m Children In Nigeria Are Not Immunized

A staff of NYSC at the orientation camp in Mangu Local Government Area told our correspondent that the camp had recorded 26 cases since the commencement of the orientation exercise in Plateau State.

In Gombe State, 25 corps members posted to the state tested positive for the disease. Meanwhile, 14 corps members undergoing orientation have been confirmed COVID-19 positive in Sokoto State.

In Ogun State, a total of eight new cases of the disease were recorded on Monday.

Continue Reading

Health

UNICEF, WHO Advocates for More Commitment in Domesticating Exclusive Breastfeeding

Published

on

By

UNICEF, WHO Advocates for More Commitment in Domesticating Exclusive Breastfeeding
Exclusive breastfeeding
Spread the love

UNICEF, WHO Advocates for More Commitment in Domesticating Exclusive Breastfeeding

By Bashir Hassan Abubakar

As the World marks 2021 exclusive breastfeeding week, United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) and World Health Organization (WHO) have advocated for implementation of commitments made by Nigerian government made at the start of this year by prioritizing breastfeeding-friendly environments for mothers and babies.

The call was made in a joint press statement by UNICEF executive director Henrietta Fore and WHO DIrector-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on the occasion marking the commencement of this year’s world breastfeeding week.

The statement, jointly signed by the media contacts of UNICEF Nigeria , Geoffrey Njoku and WHO’s Pippa Haughton was made available to newsmen by Samuel Kaalu of UNICEF field office Kano, informed that the world bodies said that, this year’s World Breastfeeding Week, under its theme ‘Protect Breastfeeding: A Shared Responsibility’, is a time to revisit the commitments which includes the ensuring of the International Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes – established to protect mothers from aggressive marketing practices by the baby food industry that needs to be fully implemented by governments, health workers and industry.

ALSO READ:  NCDC says 19 new cases of COVID19 recorded in Nigeria.

Ensuring health care workers have the resources and information they need to effectively support mothers to breastfeed, including through global efforts such as the Baby-friendly Hospital Initiative, and guidelines on breastfeeding counselling.

Other commitment was the ensuring of employers allowing women the time and space they need to breastfeed; including paid parental leave with longer maternity leave; safe places for breastfeeding in the workplace; access to affordable and good-quality childcare; and universal child benefits and adequate wages.

UNICEF, WHO Advocates for More Commitment in Domesticating Exclusive Breastfeeding

The statement posit that exclusive breastfeeding is central to realising this commitment.

“Initiation of breastfeeding within the first hour of birth, followed by exclusive breastfeeding for six months and continued breastfeeding for up to two years or beyond offer a powerful line of defence against all forms of child malnutrition, including wasting and obesity. Breastfeeding also acts as babies’ first vaccine, protecting them against many common childhood illnesses.

“While there has been progress in breastfeeding rates in the last four decades – with a 50 per cent increase in the prevalence of exclusive breastfeeding globally – the COVID-19 pandemic highlights the fragility of those gains.

ALSO READ:  Taraba State discharges all #COVID-19 patients after testing negative.

“In many countries, the pandemic has caused significant disruptions in breastfeeding support services, while increasing the risk of food insecurity and malnutrition. Several countries have reported that producers of baby foods have compounded these risks by invoking unfounded fears that breastfeeding can transmit COVID-19 and marketing their products as a safer alternative to breastfeeding.

The statement disclosed that in Nigeria, where 1 in 8 children do not reach their 5th birthday and 3 in 10 children are stunted, optimal breastfeeding practices are known to reduce neonatal and child morbidities and mortality rates as well as stunting reduction.

“Available statistics in Nigeria reveal that the average duration of exclusive breastfeeding is approximately 3 months and only 3 out of every 10 children under 6 months of age were exclusively breastfed (29%). This is an improvement from 17% in 2013 to 29% in 2018 (NDHS,2013; 2018), however, this still falls significantly below the target of 50% set by the World Health Assembly to be achieved in 2025 and the SDG target for 2030.

“The percentage of children who were breastfed within 1 hour of birth (42%) remains less than 50%. Breastfeeding rates in Nigeria reduce with age – 83% of the children are breastfed up to one year, while 28% are breastfeeding till 2 years. Furthermore, the proportion of children who are not breastfeeding increases with age.

ALSO READ:  PTF APPROVES 3 LOCAL CURE FOR COVID-19

The statement pointed out that , “as we approach the UN Food Systems Summit in September and the Tokyo Nutrition for Growth Summit in December, governments, donors, civil society and the private sector all have an opportunity to make smart investments and commitments to tackle the global malnutrition crisis – including protecting, promoting and supporting breastfeeding – through stronger policies, programmes and actions.

“Now is not the time to lower our ambitions. Now is the time to aim high. We are committed to making the Nutrition for Growth Year of Action a success by ensuring that every child’s right to nutritious, safe and affordable food and adequate nutrition is realized from the beginning of life, starting with breastfeeding”, concludes the statement.

Our correspondent reports that August 1th to 7th of every year is been set aside globally to mark world exclusive breastfeeding week .

Continue Reading

Health

Asisat Oshoala contracts COVID-19

Published

on

By

Asisat Oshoala contracts COVID-19
Spread the love

Asisat Oshoala contracts COVID-19

Barcelona coach Jonatan Giráldez will be without Nigerian striker, Asisat Oshoala, for the team’s pre-season game against Elche on August 4.

The Super Falcons captain was left out of Barcelona women’s training camp in Algorfa, where the squad will stay for 10 days preparing for the new season.

The European champions, while announcing the squad for the frienly game in Alicante, were silent on the whereabouts of their star striker despite not being listed among the 23 players travelling for the match.

Asisat Oshoala contracts COVID-19

The club announced that Ingrid Engen, Andrea Pereira and Cata Coll, who were not included in the travelling party due to various injuries, will join the team later but kept mum on the whereabouts of Oshoala.

ALSO READ:  FG Says Morethan 3m Children In Nigeria Are Not Immunized

Meanwhile, a Catalan daily sports newspaper, based in Barcelona, L’Esportiu, has revealed that the four-time African Women’s Footballer of The Year missed the party due to COVID-19.

“Asisat Oshoala is the infected COVID-19 Barça footballer,” the website stated.

Continue Reading

Trending