Connect with us

Sports

Senate Rejects Sunday Dare’s Appointment, Accuse Him Of Nepotism

Published

on

Senate Rejects Sunday Dare’s Appointment, Accuse Him Of Nepotism
Spread the love

Senate Rejects Sunday Dare’s Appointment, Accuse Him Of Nepotism

Senate has rejected the minister of sports and youth development, Sunday Dare’s purported appointment of his kinsman as Leadership Centre director-general, saying the minister had previously removed two agency heads and replaced them with his relatives.

The Senate Committee on Sports and Youth Development on Thursday accused Dare of tribalism and nepotism, for appointing his kinsman, one Mr Soji Eniade as the director general of the Citizenship and Leadership Training Centre (CLTC), a parastatal in the Presidency but under the supervision of the ministry.

The committee said it was unfair for the minister to appoint his kinsman as the director general of the Training Centre when the acting director-general, Oluremi Sola-Phillips, who hails from Lagos State has been doing well as the head of the centre.

ALSO READ:  Ajax End Contract Of Brain-Damaged Former Wonderkid Nouri

The committee also accused the sports minister of previously removing two heads of agencies under the ministry, including that of the National Sports Institute, and replacing them with people from his state, Oyo State, who are also said to be related to him.

The incident happened on Thursday when the management of CLTC went to the senate to defend the 2022 budget proposal.

When it was the turn of the Centre to defend its budget, the committee had called for the director general to begin the budget defence. But instead of the acting director general Mr Oluremi Sola-Phillips getting up, Mr Soji Eniade stood up and introduced himself as the director general.

The committee expressed surprise because he was a stranger in their midst. He then told the committee that he was appointed to the position ‘two days ago,’ adding that though he was the director general, the budget would be defended by the acting director general.

ALSO READ:  Robinho Is Sentenced To 9 Years In Prison For Raping A Young Albanian Woman

This submission led to a question and answer session. In the process, Eniade told the committee that the minister appointed him as the Centre’s DG and that the appointment came from the president.

Following further questions, Eniade said that he was from Oyo State which raised the curiosity of the senators.

Senate Rejects Sunday Dare’s Appointment, Accuse Him Of Nepotism

The chairman of the Senate Committee, Sen. Obinna Ogba from Ebonyi State recalled that the minister, Dare, had previously eased out two heads of parastatals under the ministry and replaced them with people from his home state of Oyo, including that of the National Sports Institute.

Ogba said it was wrong and abuse of office for the minister to attempt bypassing the acting director general of CLTC who is from Lagos State and to replace him with his kinsman from Oyo State.

ALSO READ:  Man City's Bill For Haaland: 700,000 Euros Per Week And 170 Million Over 5 Years

Ogba, supported by Sen. Isa Jubrin from Kogi State and Sen. Cleopas Moses Zuwoghe from Bayelsa State said the Committee cannot recognise Soji Eniade as director general of CLTC because the ministry does not belong to Sunday Dare or his home state, adding that it was such actions from ministers like Dare that make people attribute their nepotism to President Muhammadu Buhari and his administration.

At that point, Eniade said he actually attended the budget defence to observe the proceedings which made the committee walk him out and asked him to go to the place reserved for observers as they cannot recognise him as the centre’s director general.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Ronaldo Scores 800th Career Goal As Man Utd Defeats Arsenal

Published

on

By

Ronaldo Scores 800th Career Goal As Man Utd Defeats Arsenal
Spread the love

Ronaldo Scores 800th Career Goal As Man Utd Defeats Arsenal

The forward has continued to pour in goals in important situations for the Red Devils.

Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo scored his 800th career goal in all competitions on Thursday against Arsenal to briefly give his side a 2-1 lead before converting the match-winning penalty for No.801 after the Gunners had equalised.

The forward is recognised as the all-time top men’s goalscorer, and he has continued to reach significant milestones upon his return to the Red Devils.

Ronaldo has made a habit of netting in important moments this year, as he’s scored at least once in each of his five Champions League appearances, including two late winners, and scored six times in the Premier League

ALSO READ:  Ronaldo Scores Twice On Manchester United Return
Continue Reading

Sports

Michael Carrick sets to depart from Man United

Published

on

By

Michael Carrick sets to depart from Man United
Spread the love

Michael Carrick sets to depart from Man United

Michael Carrick announced on Thursday he will leave Manchester United after three games as caretaker manager.

The former midfielder steadied the ship for the Red Devils after the sacking of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, taking four points from two Premier League games against Arsenal and Chelsea as well as progressing to the last 16 of the Champions League.

Carrick was part of Solskjaer’s coaching staff and had been criticised by former United midfielders Paul Scholes and Roy Keane for remaining at the club following the Norwegian’s dismissal.

ALSO READ:  Robinho Is Sentenced To 9 Years In Prison For Raping A Young Albanian Woman

The club’s new interim manager Ralf Rangnick watched Thursday’s 3-2 win over Arsenal from the stands at Old Trafford and will formally take over on Friday.

“When I first signed over 15 years ago, I never in my wildest dreams could have imagined winning so many trophies and I will certainly never forget the fantastic memories both as a player and as a member of the coaching team,” Carrick said in a statement posted on the United website.

Michael Carrick sets to depart from Man United

“However, after a lot of thought and deliberation, I have decided that now is the right time for me to leave the club.

ALSO READ:  Ajax End Contract Of Brain-Damaged Former Wonderkid Nouri

“I want to place on record my thanks to all of the players and a special mention goes to the backroom staff, working long hours with such a great group of people has been a real pleasure and I have made some long-lasting friendships.”

Carrick played 464 games for the United between 2006 and 2018, winning five Premier League titles, the FA Cup, two League Cups, the Champions League, Europa League and the Club World Cup.

He joined the first team coaching staff when he retired in 2018 and served under both Jose Mourinho and Solskjaer.

AFP

Continue Reading

Sports

Ronaldo Donates Rubble From His Portugal Mansion To Needy Families

Published

on

By

Ronaldo Donates Rubble From His Portugal Mansion To Needy Families
Spread the love

Ronaldo Donates Rubble From His Portugal Mansion To Needy Families

Cristiano Ronaldo has demolished ‘illegal’ extensions at one of his Portuguese homes – and donated the rubble to needy families.

The Manchester United striker made good on his promise to pull down a housekeeper’s cottage and an annexe next to a tennis court at the riverside mansion near the spa town of Geres in northern Portugal.

And the bricks and other material left by bulldozers is to be given a second life after being handed to locals living on the breadline.

Manuel Tibo, mayor of Terras de Bouro which Geres forms part of, praised the star for his actions, telling local press: ‘It was a voluntary decision by Cristiano Ronaldo which should serve as an example to other property owners in the region.’

ALSO READ:  Moses Simon Named In Nantes Team Of The Decade

The Old Trafford hero was forced to pull down a rooftop gazebo at his Lisbon penthouse in September after being threatened with legal action.

Last month it emerged the five-times Ballon d’Or winner had got himself into hot water again with planners over the £2.3 million home near Geres.

Mr Tibo confirmed the footballer had agreed to bulldoze the tennis court and two annexes including the housekeeper’s cottage after they were declared ‘illegal.’

He told local media at the time: ‘Cristiano Ronaldo submitted a project to us for approval and ended up constructing a property which was subsequently licensed in the area where he had permission to build.

‘But he also built outside the permitted area and although we’re not talking anything that significant, it is illegal.’

The 3,200ft tennis court is expected to be razed to the ground in the next few days so the 36-year-old dad-of-four can stick to the March 2022 deadline he has committed to to get rid of the illegal builds.

ALSO READ:  English Premier League Targets June 6 Return

Cristiano is understood to have sold the property to former Real Madrid teammate Pepe two years ago.

But respected Portuguese state broadcaster RTP discovered recently he was still registered as the official owner of the sprawling mansion in the protected Peneda-Geres National Park overlooking the picturesque Cavado River.

As well as two luxury apartments in Lisbon, the Old Trafford frontman also owns a seven-storey apartment block overlooking the Atlantic Ocean in the Madeiran capital Funchal where his mum and brother live and a £4.8m on a fortress estate just outside Madrid called La Finca.

Cristiano is also having a new mansion built on a large plot of land in Quinta da Marinha on the so-called Portuguese Riviera, half an hour from Lisbon Airport and ten minutes from the centre of the coastal town of Cascais.

ALSO READ:  Tension Mounts In Premier League Relegation Battle

The top-ever international goalscorer, whose partner Georgina Rodriguez is expecting twins, admitted defeat in September over the controversial gazebo at his £6.5 million Lisbon penthouse. The Lisbon apartment block’s design architect had pledged to take him to court unless he removed it.

Jose Mateus accused Ronaldo of ‘scoring an own goal’ and ‘dishonouring his work’ in an astonishing attack on the former Juventus forward as planning chiefs announced an investigation in May soon after the existence of the gazebo was revealed.

Cristiano’s elder sister Elma Aveiro waded into the planning controversy at one point by branding Mr Mateus ‘mentally slow’ in an astonishing defence of her brother.

Continue Reading

Trending