Connect with us

Education

Second Edition Kaduna Schools Sports Festival Begins Next Week

Published

on

Second Edition Kaduna Schools Sports Festival Begins Next Week
Spread the love

Second Edition Kaduna Schools Sports Festival Begins Next Week

The Kaduna State Ministry of Sports Development has hinted that the second edition of the state’s Schools Sports Festival is expected to begin next weekend.

This was disclosed by the Director of Sports, Alhaji Yakubu Ibrahim during a meeting with zonal sports directors and top ministry staff to fine tune preparations for the sports festival.

Representing the Permanent Secretary, he said that already, they have prepared fixtures for the sports, which is expected to feature over 500 schools in the state.

“We have been given directives to start the competition immediately schools resumes.

ALSO READ:  Christian impregnates Muslem girl, flees for safety

“By next week Saturday, we will start the second edition of the schools sports festival,” he assured.

According to him, they intended to have six events this time, against the four held in the first edition.

Second Edition Kaduna Schools Sports Festival Begins Next Week

He said the events to be held are however, limited to four, which are; football, volleyball, handball and athletics.

“We limited the events because we have so many activities coming up within this period, including the National Youth Games (NYG) and the Kaduna State Sports Festival,” he said.

He explained that school sports revitalisation is one of the core mandates of the ministry given by the Kaduna State Government.

ALSO READ:  DELSU SUG Blows Hot As Gunmen Kidnap Two, Kill One In School

“This is one of the mandates given by his Excellency, the Kaduna State Governor, Malam Nasir el-Rufai to the ministry. We would have done second edition last year, but COVID-19 prevented it,” he informed.

He was optimistic that this year, more schools are expected to feature.

“We have 12 educational zones. Last time we had 500 secondary schools that participated in 2019. This time, we will have more than that,” he said.

“The 2019 schools sports united so many of the participants, who at the end when they were seperating, were even shedding tears as a result of bonding they had during the games,” he said.

ALSO READ:  Indian University Creates Cartoon Characters Of Students For Virtual Graduation

The meeting had in attendance representatives from all the 12 educational zones in the state.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Education

PUNCH News Headlines For 16th September, 2021

Published

on

By

We will welcome Jonathan if he defects – APC
Spread the love

PUNCH News Headlines For 16th September, 2021 As Listed By Chrysora Media

We will welcome Jonathan if he defects – APC

We will welcome Jonathan if he defects – APC

Buni


THE All Progressives Congress on Wednesday said it would welcome former President Goodluck Jonathan should he decide to join the party.
It also said he, like every other new entrant, would enjoy the rights and privileges extended to all members of the party irrespective of date of joining.
National Secretary of the party, Senator John Akpanudoedehe said this while answering questions on a Channels Television Political Programme, Politics Today.
In response to a question whether there was any truth in speculations that the party was wooing Jonathan to join….
Continue reading….

Pay death benefits, salary arrears, NARD tells FG
Pay death benefits, salary arrears, NARD tells FG
STRIKING members of the Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors have said that they may shift ground on their ongoing strike that started on August 2 if they see signs that the Federal Government will honour agreements and clear some outstanding payments.
The outstanding payments the association is expecting the government to settle before they can consider ending the strike include death benefits of members who died during COVID-19 pandemic and salary arrears among others.
It was further learnt that the leadership of NARD and that of the Nigerian Medical Association would be meeting the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, on Friday in continuation of efforts to end the strike.
Our correspondent gathered that the issue of review of hazard allowance will feature prominently in the Friday meeting…..
Continue reading…

Twitter ban is not just about losing billions of naira
Twitter ban is not just about losing billions of naira
The Twitter ban in Nigeria by the Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.) regime has stretched for more than 100 days, and the issue still comes up mostly as a matter of economic loss. When we focus on how much money Nigeria has lost due to the ban, we risk overlooking the crucial aspect of the regime’s persistence in maintaining an ill-advised policy. This is not to say the economic angle is insignificant; it is. According to NetBlocks Cost of Shutdown Tool, an agency that tracks the economic impact of the disruption of internet activities, Nigeria loses an estimated $60m daily due to the Twitter ban. That is no mean sum. Even if Nigeria were to reverse the ban, we would never recoup that loss….
Continue reading…

PUNCH News Headlines For 16th September, 2021

Cult threat: Missing student, sister planned disappearance, says Caleb varsity
Cult threat: Missing student, sister planned disappearance, says Caleb varsity
Caleb University, Imota, Lagos State, has said its internal investigation and information obtained from chats between a missing student, Oluwanifemi Olajide, and his sister, Stella, showed that the student’s disappearance was planned.
PUNCH Metro on Wednesday reported that the student’s father, Oni Olajide, lamented that his son went missing while in the school.
He claimed that Oluwanifemi, a student of Computer Science at the institution, sent disturbing messages to his sister on WhatsApp suggesting that cultists were after his life.
Oni said the 21-year-old disappeared shortly afterwards, as he accused the varsity of not taking any action….
Continue reading….

Assembly okays Ganduje’s N4bn power, others’ loan request
Assembly okays Ganduje’s N4bn power, others’ loan request
THE Kano State House of Assembly has approved a request by the state Governor, Abdullahi Ganduje, to secure a N4bn loan facility for the completion of Tiga and Challawa electrification projects.
The House approved the request during its plenary on Wednesday.
Ganduje forwarded the request to the House via a letter which was earlier read on the floor by the Speaker, Hamisu Chidari.
The Majority Leader of the House, Labaran Madari, had moved a motion calling on his colleagues to take a critical look at the request and approve the same because of the enormous benefit it would bring to the populace…
Continue reading….

ALSO READ:  Christian impregnates Muslem girl, flees for safety
Continue Reading

Education

University of Benin, Shut Down Over New N20,000 Charge

Published

on

By

University of Benin, Shut Down Over New N20,000 Charge
Spread the love

University of Benin, Shut Down Over New N20,000 Charge

Students have been asked to vacate hostels and the university premises not later then 12 noon on Wednesday, September 15, 2021.

Authorities of the University of Benin (Uniben) have closed the institution with immediate effect.

On Tuesday, September 14, students of the university emptied into streets to protest the imposition of a N20,000 late registration fee by the institution.

The students also mounted road blocks at the entrance of the university’s main campus in Ugbowo, a course of action that affected free flow of traffic in and around the Benin metropolis.

ALSO READ:  Super TV CEO Murder: UNILAG Explains Why No Decision Has Been Taken On Student

University of Benin, Shut Down Over New N20,000 Charge

A terse statement from the university reads as follows:

“The Vice Chancellor has reviewed the agitation by a section of the students’ body.

“After due consultation, and in the overall interest of the general students’ body, the vice chancellor has, on behalf of the senate, approved the closure of the university with immediate effect.

“This is based on security reports to avoid the students’ action being hijacked by hoodlums; and thereby prevent any form of breakdown of law and order within and outside the campuses of the university.

“Accordingly, all students are to vacate the hostels and the university premises not later than 12 noon on Wednesday 15th, September 2021.”

ALSO READ:  Lecturer petitions governing council over selection of UI VC

Benjamin Egwu, President of the Student Union Government (SUG), had said that the decision to charge students N20,000 for late registration was in bad faith.

Continue Reading

Education

Caleb varsity student disappears after cult threat, father, CP tackle school

Published

on

By

Caleb varsity student disappears after cult threat, father, CP tackle school
Spread the love

Caleb varsity student disappears after cult threat, father, CP tackle school

A financial consultant, Oni Olajide, has lamented the disappearance of his son, Oluwanifemi, on the premises of Caleb University, in the Imota area of Lagos State.

PUNCH Metro gathered that Oluwanifemi, an undergraduate studying Computer Science in the institution, suddenly sent disturbing messages to his elder sister, Stella, on WhatsApp that some suspected cultists wanted him dead.

The 21-year-old was said to have cautioned Stella against disclosing the information to their parents.

It was learnt that Oluwanifemi, who finished his examination on Friday, August 13, 2021, requested some money from his father to visit his mother in Ibadan.

The aggrieved father told our correspondent that that was the last time he heard from his son, adding that Oluwanifemi never acknowledged receiving the money.

Oni said, “He requested money for transportation on Monday, August 16, 2021, and I sent N5,000 to him. But I did not see any debit alert since it’s my ATM card he is using. I became worried and called a staff member of the school to check on him and the worker told me the boy had left for Ibadan to see his mum.

ALSO READ:  See How You Can Check Your WAEC Result

“But I did my findings and discovered that he never arrived in Ibadan or signed out of the school. We are of the opinion that he was abducted by the cultists he told his sister about. He said the cultists wanted him dead and we saw the messages he sent to her on WhatsApp before his disappearance.

Caleb varsity student disappears after cult threat, father, CP tackle school

“The school has just been trying to put itself in a clean shape despite being 100 per cent culpable about my son’s disappearance. The reason my child did not go to a state university was because of cultism. I took him to Caleb University after accessing that CCTV was installed everywhere. But I am surprised that after my son went missing, they refused to give us access to the CCTV footage.”

The 51-year-old explained that he advised the school authorities to paste Oluwanifemi’s pictures around the school premises, but they refused.

ALSO READ:  Staff & Students scared as fetish object litter University of Ibadan

He added, “The school said they found my son’s box with another student, one Nathaniel. The police invited Nathaniel on four occasions, but he refused the invitations. I told them to use their influence to get him to honour the invitation, but they did nothing.

“If the Chief Security Officer of the school calls Nathaniel, he will pick the phone, but if the CSO hands the phone over to the Imota Divisional Police Officer to speak to Nathaniel, he will cut the call.

“My son has been missing for a month; how will he sneak out without carrying his ATM card, phone, money and box found with Nathaniel? What will he use in feeding when he gets out? Nathaniel is claiming that the school is framing him; when the school was asked to bring security guards on duty when my son went missing to write a statement at the station, it brought guards that were not on duty on the day of the incident.”

PUNCH Metro gathered that the case had been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department, Yaba, for further investigation.

ALSO READ:  DELSU SUG Blows Hot As Gunmen Kidnap Two, Kill One In School

The Dean of Student Affairs, Caleb University, Dr Tayo Olorunlana, directed our correspondent to the varsity Public Relations Officer, Dr Elvis Otobo, for a reaction.

Otobo, when contacted, declined comment, but promised to call back our reporter.

During a follow-up call initiated by our correspondent, the varsity spokesman demanded he visit the school for a reaction.

The state Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu, said Caleb University had been frustrating investigation into the case.

He said, “To the best of my knowledge, only the parents have reported to the police, but the school authorities have not written any official complaint to the police, stating the circumstances and the preliminary investigation it conducted so the police can take it up from there.

“If that happens, we will have access to the university to ask questions. The school is the one frustrating our investigation because he got missing on the school premises. We have started an investigation, but we have yet to conclude as we have not been granted access to the scene of crime.”

Punchng.com

Continue Reading

Trending