Connect with us

News

Police release 7 Boko Haram suspects after three-year unlawful detention

Published

on

Police release 7 Boko Haram suspects after three-year unlawful detention
Spread the love

Police release 7 Boko Haram suspects after three-year unlawful detention

Respite has finally come the way of the alleged Maiduguri-based Boko Haram suspects following their release on Tuesday in Abuja after spending over three years in police detention.

The seven detainees were set free on the order of a Federal High Court in Abuja issued on December 1 by Justice Modupe Olajuwon.

Their release comes exactly seven days after the court order was issued.

Their lawyer, Peter Abbo, who filed and argued a fundamental human rights enforcement suit on their behalf, confirmed their release to our correspondent.

Justice Olajuwon had on December 1 in a judgment ordered police to pay the sum of N15 million to the seven over their unlawful detention for three years without trial.

ALSO READ:  MAZI IKECHUKWU OKORONKWO APPLAUDED NAFDAC POSITION OVER COVID 19 DRUG TRIAL.

The suspects, who were said to have been arrested inside a Maiduguri market, were allegedly dumped at the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) detention facility at Abbatoir in Abuja.

Justice Olajuwon, in the judgment on their fundamental human rights enforcement suit, had held that the detention of the men for three years without trial contravened the provisions of the 1999 constitution.

The judge had said that the police acted in bad faith in keeping the detainees beyond the period required by law especially when there was no cogent and verifiable ground of indictment of the applicants for any offence.

Justice Olajuwon, while holding that the detention was illegal, unlawful and unconstitutional, consequently ordered that the seven applicants be released forthwith to their families.

ALSO READ:  Vice President Osinbajo Meets With IGP Adamu, DSS Boss, Bichi Over SARS

Police release 7 Boko Haram suspects after three-year unlawful detention

The judge ordered that each applicant be paid a sum of N2 million as damages for their unlawful detention and another N1 million as the cost of litigation that brought about the judgment.

Counsel to the applicants, Aboh, while confirming the release, told our correspondent that the detainees have just been handed over to him and that they are eager to go back to Maiduguri to reunite with their families after three years of separation.

“As I am talking to you, the seven detainees are here with me having just been released on the order of the federal high court in Abuja issued on December 1.

ALSO READ:  Francisca Ordega: I Made Benue Proud For 10 Years But Not Honoured Like Kiddwaya

“Though their detention is arbitrary, unjust and unlawful, they are still happy that police complied with the order of the court and they are in high spirits seeking to travel immediately to Maiduguri where they were arrested,” he said.

He insisted that the detainees were unjustly labelled as Boko Haram suspects by police to justify the unlawful detention.

The lawyer had earlier told journalists that an Abuja based non-governmental organization, Dayspring Life Foundation, stumbled on the detainees and took over the sponsorship of the litigation to rescue them from the claws of police and unlawful detention.

The applicants are Ajiri Bulama Dungus, Gudja Giddah, Adam Mohammed, Wardi Dungus, Fanami Mustapha, Mohammed Abba and Makinka Alhaji Dungus.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Police Arrest Vigilante Commander For Torturing Female Cop In Anambra

Published

on

By

Police Arrest Vigilante Commander For Torturing Female Cop In Anambra
Spread the love

Police Arrest Vigilante Commander For Torturing Female Cop In Anambra

The Anambra State Police Command has arrested the commander of the Anambra State Vigilante Group for allegedly torturing a female police officer on January 12, 2022.

The police spokesman, DSP Ikenga Tochukwu, confirmed the arrest in Awka on Saturday.

He said the Commissioner of Police, Echeng Echeng, ordered the arrest of the suspect, whose name was not mentioned, following a report of harassment and torturing of a female police officer at the AVG’s Awuda Nnobi security office.

He described the act as cowardly and assured members of the public that the command was always ready to protect the women against violence even when the person is not from the security community.

ALSO READ:  Domestic violence was never behind my sister’s ordeal - Cha Cha Ekes brother opens up

He thanked the members of the public especially Ndi Anambra for their advocacy in condemning the act and protecting the female gender.

He said, “Following a trending video on the social media showing when some members of the Anambra Vigilante Group were seen harassing and torturing a female in their office at Awuda Nnobi. The CP ordered the immediate arrest of the commander and investigation has since commenced.

“The command, today, wishes to inform the general public, especially Ndi Anambra, that the commander of the AVG has been arrested for allegedly torturing a female police officer on 12th January 2022 at Awuda Nnobi security office and he is in our custody.”

Continue Reading

News

Ondo Women Protest Half-Naked Over Insecurity (Photos)

Published

on

By

Ondo Women Protest Half-Naked Over Insecurity
Spread the love

Ondo Women Protest Half-Naked Over Insecurity

Hundreds of women across four local government areas in Ondo State staged protests on Saturday, against the spate of insecurity in the area.

It was gathered that the peaceful protests were staged in Oka Akoko, Akungba Akoko and some other Akoko towns.

The protests were said to have been triggered by the recent kidnap of teachers by some bandits in Auga Akoko, the killing of a police officer by unknown gunmen at Oka Akoko last week, and the attack on 17 travellers on Ifira Akoko-Isua Akoko road by armed robbers among others.

ALSO READ:  COVID-19: Oyo Govt Imposes Curfew, Close Markets, Borders

Some of the protesters, who were holding brooms in their hands, were half-naked, chanting various solidarity songs along the streets.

They called on the security agents and the state government to come to the rescue of the area from the attack of the bandits.

Continue Reading

News

Illegal Refinery: NSCDC Disbands Anti-vandal Unit After Wike’s Outburst

Published

on

By

Illegal Refinery: NSCDC Disbands Anti-vandal Unit After Wike’s Outburst
Spread the love

Illegal Refinery: NSCDC Disbands Anti-vandal Unit After Wike’s Outburst

PRESS STATEMENT

NSCDC BOSS DISBANDS THE ANTI VANDAL UNIT OF RIVERS STATE COMMAND.

The Commandant General of Nigeria security and Civil Defence Corps, Ahmed Abubakar Audi, PhD, mni, has received with shock and dismay, the allegations levelled against the anti vandal unit of Rivers State Command of the Corps by the Executive Governor of the state, Nyisom Wike, wherein the team was accused of aiding and abetting vandals and illegal bunkerers to carry out their nefarious activities in the state.

Worried by this disappointing development, the CG has ordered the suspension of head of the anti vandal team and the disbandment of the unit with immediate effect, pending the outcome of an independent enquiry set up to look into the weighty allegations levelled against the unit by the governor.

He said that the extant rules and regulations guiding the NSCDCl operations and the general ethics of the service requires complete display of total discipline, integrity, incorruptibility, transparency and accountability on the part of every Corps personnel, hence, the reason for this immediate action.

ALSO READ:  War in AsoRock: DSS Lays Siege at PremiumTimes Office, Moves To Arrest Editor-In-Chief

He further directed the Acting DCG in charge of investigation and intelligence to summon all the personnel involved to the National Headquarters, Abuja for further investigation to determine the level of involvement and or culpability with a view to dispensing justice appropriately.

He decried the allegations as not being in tandem with his vision for the Corps, stressing that he will not condone any criminal act or act of compromise by any personnel. He emphasized that a thorough investigation would be conducted to ascertain the veracity of the allegation and roles played by the individuals involved and whoever is found guilty would face necessary disciplinary actions and punishment.

Illegal Refinery: NSCDC Disbands Anti-vandal Unit After Wike’s Outburst

He assured the Governor of Rivers state of getting to the root of the matter without delay, promising more synergy with the state government towards discharging more effective service delivery to the good people of Rivers state. Reiterating further that his administration has come with a renewed vigour to reposition the service in line with global best practices and will not condone any act of sabotage by any personnel no matter how highly or lowly placed.

ALSO READ:  MAZI IKECHUKWU OKORONKWO APPLAUDED NAFDAC POSITION OVER COVID 19 DRUG TRIAL.

“The swift action taken by me is to close any identified gaps in our operations and service to the nation, I will not tolerate any act of indiscipline, compromise or sabotage under any guise; our founding fathers have worked so hard to earn good name for the service as a noble organization and I will not allow a few bad eggs to spoil our name, image, our credibility and integrity. We will investigate those fingered in the allegations and deal decisively with them if found guilty to serve as a deterrent to others” the CG said.

Audi emphasized that as the lead agency in the protection of critical national asset and infrastructure, the Corps management would beam more searchlight into that area by reorganizing and reconstituting the anti vandal unit with a view to making it more responsive, transparent and accountable to Nigerians.

ALSO READ:  FCCPC opens investigation on Dr. Anu who allegedly carries out botched cosmetic surgery in Lagos.

“Our moral principles are not negotiable; we are going to rejig the unit and fish out those spoiling the name of the Corps, my fight against vandals, illegal oil bunkerers and those stealing our collective wealth and sabotaging our economy is unflinching and we will redoubled our efforts to whittle down this act of sabotage and bring to justice anyone not in tune with our vision and mission for the service” he concluded.

Signed:

Olusola Odumosu
Director of Public Relations
NSCDC NHQ, Abuja.

Continue Reading

Trending