Connect with us

News

Interesting PUNCH News Headlines Of Today

Published

on

Interesting PUNCH News Headlines Of Today
Spread the love

Interesting PUNCH News Headlines Of Today 12th October, 2021, Outlined by chrysora Media

Girl Child Day: Girls have no place, value in Africa – Actress Ini Edo

Girl Child Day: Girls have no place, value in Africa – Actress Ini Edo

Ini Edo


Nollywood star, Ini Edo, said girls have no place and value in Africa, as she weighs in on the international celebration of female children on Monday.
The International Day of the Girl Child, held every 11th of October, is focused on celebrating and enlightening the girl child about her opportunities in the world.
Speaking about the place of the girl child in the society, Edo took to her verified Instagram page to argue that girls are not really valued in Africa.
The actress said, “On this 11th day, nine years ago, the United Nations realised it was necessary to recognise the girl child.
“It has been of great honor for the girl child to have a day to be marked and celebrated, but so far, have they really been celebrated and valued in Africa?…
Continue reading….

I’ll not accept any opposition in Edo PDP – Obaseki
I’ll not accept any opposition in Edo PDP – Obaseki
EDO State Governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseki, has said he would not broker opposition within the state chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party in his quest to reposition and strengthen it.
He said this at an expanded meeting of party leaders, in Benin, on Monday.
Obaseki said, “There are people who have continued to come and feed you with lies. That is the nature of their politics if there is no confusion they will not eat.…..
Continue reading…..

Nigerian boxers yet to begin camping for world tourney
Nigerian boxers yet to begin camping for world tourney
WITH barely two weeks to the start of the 2021 AIBA Men’s World Boxing Championships in Belgrade, Serbia, Nigerian boxers are yet to begin camping for the event, The PUNCH reports.
The event is scheduled for October 26 to November 6, with the opening ceremony and official draw billed for October 24.
Our correspondent learnt that a total of eight boxers are expected to represent the country at the championships.
A Lagos-based boxer, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, told The PUNCH that he and some of his colleagues were in the dark over their participation at the global championship.
“We have been training personally for over two months now and we are not even sure if we will attend the event, which starts in two weeks time,” the boxer said.
“The Nigeria Boxing Federation is yet to contact us (boxers) on plans for our participation.”
AIBA confirmed that in each weight category, the prize for first place is $100,000, while silver and bronze medallists will receive $50,000 and $25,000 respectively…..
Continue reading….

Interesting PUNCH News Headlines Of Today

Group, PDP knock Buhari’s aide over Emmanuel’s alleged impending move to APC
Group, PDP knock Buhari’s aide over Emmanuel’s alleged impending move to APC
THE Akwa Ibom State chapter of the People’s Democratic Party on Monday dismissed claims that Governor Udom Emmanuel was planning to defect to the All Progressive Congress, saying people were using it to draw attention to themselves.
The Senior Special Assistant to the President, Maj. Gen. Mohammadu Buhari (retd.), on Niger Delta Affairs, Senator Ita Enang, while speaking on Inspiration FM in Uyo, the state capital, claimed that the governor was making subtle moves to join the APC.
Enang, who cited the governor’s recent romance with APC stakeholders, including Vice- President Yemi Osinbajo and Senate President, Dr. Ahmed Lawan, who were in the state for projects inauguration, concluded that “Udom Emmanuel is now a member of the APC”….
Continue reading…..

States lament deductions, demand probe, subsidy rises to N8.2bn daily
States lament deductions, demand probe, subsidy rises to N8.2bn daily
States on Monday condemned the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation over the manner it was administering the fuel subsidy regime.
The Chairman of State Commissioners of Finance Forum, David Olofu, who stated this in an interview with one of our correspondents, said the states were aware that the NNPC was making subsidy deductions from its revenue before remitting funds to the Federation Accounts Allocation Committee.
He, however, lamented that there was nothing they could do since the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), who is also the Minister of Petroleum Resources, must be aware of the issue.
Olofu urged the National Assembly to look into the activities of the NNPC, which he described as non-transparent…….
Continue reading….

Child marriage kills over 60 girls daily – Save the Children Int’l
Child marriage kills over 60 girls daily – Save the Children Int’l
A human right organisation, Save the Children International, has said that child marriage kills over 60 girls daily.
The organisation quoting a report said it had been estimated that 44 per cent of girls in Nigeria get married before their 18th birthday, one of the highest rate of child marriage globally.
The organisation said these in a statement issued on Monday night and signed by its Chief Executive, Inger Ashing, in commemoration of the 2021 International Day of the Girl Child.
The statement reads, “Rates are not likely to decrease today as Nigerian girls are living in one of the most difficult times.
“As a result of armed conflict, humanitarian crisis, kidnapping, natural disaster, displacement, COVID-19 pandemic and economic recession, the lives of millions of girls are threatened to be pushed into the basket of deprivation, including reduced access to education, nutrition, lack of protection and lack of access to basic social services, the State of Nigerian Girls Report showed.
“More than an estimated 22,000 girls die per year from pregnancy and childbirth resulting from child marriage, new analysis from Save the Children released on International Day of the Girl reveals.
“With the highest rate of child marriage in the world, West and Central Africa accounts for nearly half (9,600) of all estimated child marriage-related deaths globally, or 26 deaths a day…..
Continue reading….

Get more updates here

ALSO READ:  Herdsmen, Anambra woman die in a bloody clash
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Police release 7 Boko Haram suspects after three-year unlawful detention

Published

on

By

Police release 7 Boko Haram suspects after three-year unlawful detention
Spread the love

Police release 7 Boko Haram suspects after three-year unlawful detention

Respite has finally come the way of the alleged Maiduguri-based Boko Haram suspects following their release on Tuesday in Abuja after spending over three years in police detention.

The seven detainees were set free on the order of a Federal High Court in Abuja issued on December 1 by Justice Modupe Olajuwon.

Their release comes exactly seven days after the court order was issued.

Their lawyer, Peter Abbo, who filed and argued a fundamental human rights enforcement suit on their behalf, confirmed their release to our correspondent.

Justice Olajuwon had on December 1 in a judgment ordered police to pay the sum of N15 million to the seven over their unlawful detention for three years without trial.

ALSO READ:  We would have finished the Lagos-Ibadan rail if not for coronavirus- Amaechi

The suspects, who were said to have been arrested inside a Maiduguri market, were allegedly dumped at the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) detention facility at Abbatoir in Abuja.

Justice Olajuwon, in the judgment on their fundamental human rights enforcement suit, had held that the detention of the men for three years without trial contravened the provisions of the 1999 constitution.

The judge had said that the police acted in bad faith in keeping the detainees beyond the period required by law especially when there was no cogent and verifiable ground of indictment of the applicants for any offence.

Justice Olajuwon, while holding that the detention was illegal, unlawful and unconstitutional, consequently ordered that the seven applicants be released forthwith to their families.

ALSO READ:  Herdsmen, Anambra woman die in a bloody clash

Police release 7 Boko Haram suspects after three-year unlawful detention

The judge ordered that each applicant be paid a sum of N2 million as damages for their unlawful detention and another N1 million as the cost of litigation that brought about the judgment.

Counsel to the applicants, Aboh, while confirming the release, told our correspondent that the detainees have just been handed over to him and that they are eager to go back to Maiduguri to reunite with their families after three years of separation.

“As I am talking to you, the seven detainees are here with me having just been released on the order of the federal high court in Abuja issued on December 1.

ALSO READ:  Hausa/Yoruba Clash: Sanwo-Olu Visits Fagba, Reads Riot Act To Miscreants In Lagos.

“Though their detention is arbitrary, unjust and unlawful, they are still happy that police complied with the order of the court and they are in high spirits seeking to travel immediately to Maiduguri where they were arrested,” he said.

He insisted that the detainees were unjustly labelled as Boko Haram suspects by police to justify the unlawful detention.

The lawyer had earlier told journalists that an Abuja based non-governmental organization, Dayspring Life Foundation, stumbled on the detainees and took over the sponsorship of the litigation to rescue them from the claws of police and unlawful detention.

The applicants are Ajiri Bulama Dungus, Gudja Giddah, Adam Mohammed, Wardi Dungus, Fanami Mustapha, Mohammed Abba and Makinka Alhaji Dungus.

Continue Reading

News

‘What has happened has happened,’ Lagos church backs Sanwo-Olu’s ‘walk of peace’

Published

on

By

'What has happened has happened,' Lagos church backs Sanwo-Olu's 'walk of peace'
Spread the love

‘What has happened has happened,’ Lagos church backs Sanwo-Olu’s ‘walk of peace’

The Cherubim and Seraphim Movement Church Worldwide, Yaba District Headquarters (Ogo Serafu), has thrown its support on the Peace Walk planned by the Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu.

The Chairman of the church’s 50th Anniversary Celebration, Special Apostle Samuel Sogunro, gave the support on behalf of the church, during a news conference at the church’s headquarters in Ijeshatedo.

Sanwo-Olu had on November 30 called on the youths and other stakeholders to join him on Peace Walk, for healing of Lagos State, after the disturbances that trailed the 2020 #EndSARS protests against police brutality.

The news conference was to announce the 50th Anniversary of the church, the Cathedral Dedication and its 51st Harvest Thanksgiving.

ALSO READ:  Why I killed Chief Odunukwe, owner of FIRMAN Generators ― Suspect

Sogunro, a former Rector of the Lagos State Polytechnic, said that what had happened was irreversible, but all had to come together and move the nation forward.

According to him, the whole issue about #EndSARS protest and its aftermath came with a lot of lessons learnt.

“The bottom line is that we must move forward as a nation, and we continue to learn everyday. I believe that what heppened during that EndSARS will never repeat itself again.

“So many things, many infrastructure of government were destroyed, I bet you if it had been other states, they will not get over it till thy kingdom come but we want to appreciate the Lagos State Government for rising up to that challenge.

“Lagos State Government has been doing very well, as far as infrastructural development and listens to the masses. So, the Peace Walk is the thing that everyone wants to embrace

ALSO READ:  WHY WE DIDN’T KILL KATSINA SCHOOLBOYS’ ABDUCTORS – MILITARY

“What has happened has happened, we need to move on, let us come together and forge ahead.

“I believe the government is reasoning in the right direction. So people should join hand with the government to make sure that we come together and build our country ourselves,” he said.

‘What has happened has happened,’ Lagos church backs Sanwo-Olu’s ‘walk of peace’

Sogunro said that the church, formerly known as The Holy Order of Cherubim and Seraphim Church Movement Ijeshatedo, was founded in 1970, by late Senior Apostle Nathaniel Aderibigbe Ajijolaoluwa, in a small shop at Johnson Bus stop, ljesha Road, Surulere, Lagos.

ALSO READ:  Herdsmen, Anambra woman die in a bloody clash

He said that since inception, the church had exhibited its spirituality and revealed revelations, of which a lot of testimonies abound.

According to him, the church has billed to celebrate its 50+1 anniversary and dedication of its cathedral on December 11, and the Adult Harvest Thanksgiving Service on December 12.

He said that the church had highlighted a lot of activities for the three major programmes, which had started on November 28 with health check, health talk and evangelism.

Sogunro said that there had been praise concert, symposium, visit to orphanage home, with inter-branch Bible Quiz, Prophetic Night on December 8.

He urged Christians to continue to live according to the dictates of the Lord God, so as to live meaningful lives.

Continue Reading

News

Dowen College: Family Hires Femi Falana Over Sylvester Oromoni’s Death

Published

on

By

Dowen College: Family Hires Femi Falana Over Sylvester Oromoni's Death
Spread the love

Dowen College: Family Hires Femi Falana Over Sylvester Oromoni’s Death

After petitions addressed to the Nigeria police force (NPF), the family of the late 12-year-old Dowen College student, Sylvester Oromoni Jnr, has hired the firm of a foremost human rights lawyer and activist, Femi Falana, to prosecute the case against the institution over the unfortunate death of their son.

The lawyer has, therefore, written to the office of Lagos State’s chief coroner, requesting an inquest into the circumstances leading to the death of his client’s child.

It was earlier on Monday reported that the insistence of the deceased’s father, Sylvester Oromoni Snr, that his son was bullied to death, even as he lamented the attitude of the school management to the development.

ALSO READ:  ANAMBRA POLICE RECOVERS VEHICLE SNATCHED AT GUNPOINT, ARRESTED ONE SUSPECT.

Lawyer’s letter

The letter, which was dated December 6, 2021 and signed by Taiwo Olawale, a copy of which was obtained by Chrysora Media, was specifically addressed to the chief coroner, high court of Lagos State.

Entitled; “Request for Inquest into the Tragic Death of Sylvester Oromoni killed at Dowen College, Lekki, Lagos,” noted that based on the briefings by the family, the late student died as a result of injuries allegedly inflicted on him by his seniors at the school.”

The letter reads in part: “Given the needless death of Sylvester Oromoni, we are compelled to request you to use your good offices to cause a coroner’s inquest to be conducted into the cause of death of this young and promising boy and make appropriate recommendations pursuant to Section 15 of the Lagos State Coroner’s Law 2007 that states that an inquest shall hold whenever a coroner is informed that the death of a deceased person within his coroner district is as a result of a death in a violent, unnatural or suspicious situation.

“We hereby request your lordship to conduct an inquest into the circumstance surrounding this tragic death and we are confident that your lordship will accede to our request with utmost urgency.”

Continue Reading

Trending