Connect with us

World

About 15 Out Of Many Drown Migrants Were Saved By Fishermen In Libya

Published

on

About 15 Of Out Many Drown Migrants Were Saved By Fishermen In Libya
Spread the love

About 15 Out Of Many Drown Migrants Were Saved By Fishermen In Libya

A boat accident on the Mediterranean last week is believed to have claimed the lives of 75 irregular migrants, including Nigerians.

The affected migrants were lost to sea when a boat transporting 92 Sudanese, Pakistani, Gambian, Nigerian, and Ghanaian nationals wrecked off the Libyan coastal city of Zawara on Wednesday, November 17, 2021.

At least 15 of the travellers were rescued by fishermen, according to a report by Info Migrants.

Six bodies have been retrieved by the fishermen with the support from locals.

ALSO READ:  About 10 Nigerians set for evacuation from the UK have tested positive for the novel virus.

Over 1,300 migrants have been lost in the Central Mediterranean this year in attempts to illegally cross into Europe, usually via Italy.

More than 30,000 migrants have been intercepted at sea and forcibly returned to Libya since January, almost triple last year’s interception figures.

European governments have for years struggled to find an effective response to stop the flow of African migrants over the Mediterranean from Libya.

More than 61,000 have reached Italy this year, according to the Italian government.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

US Teenager Who Shot 4 Students Dead Set To Be Charged As An Adult

Published

on

By

US Teenager Who Shot 4 Students Dead Set To Be Charged As An Adult
Spread the love

US Teenager Who Shot 4 Students Dead Set To Be Charged As An Adult

The suspect in a Michigan school shooting will face charges of terrorism and first-degree murder following a rampage that left four students dead and seven injured.

Prosecutors on Wednesday charged Oxford High School student Ethan Crumbley, 15, as an adult.

He has pleaded not guilty. Police are yet to identify a motive in the attack.

The victims were named as Tate Myre, 16, Madisyn Baldwin, 17, Hana St Juliana, 14, and Justin Shilling, 17.

Announcing the charges on Wednesday, Oakland County prosecutor Karen McDonald said her office had “a mountain of digital evidence” to show the suspect had planned the attack “well before the incident”.

One such instance is a video of the suspect the night before the shooting, in which he discusses killing students.

ALSO READ:  Lebanon Govt. resigns in the wake of the devastating Beirut explosion

“This isn’t even a close call,” she said. “This was not an impulsive act.”

She added that it was “absolutely premeditated”.

Ms McDonald said the teen will face one count of terrorism, four counts of first-degree murder, seven counts of assault with intent to murder, and 12 counts of possession of a firearm, with further charges likely as the investigation unfolds.

At a later news conference, Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard said charging the suspect as an adult was “the most appropriate” action.

“I agree with holding this individual wholly and completely responsible for the deplorable, tragic event that occurred by his choice,” he said.

The suspect will be transferred from a juvenile detention centre to the local county jail, where he will be held without bond.

ALSO READ:  Republicans laud Trump, fear left-wing takeover, as RNC opens

The teenager has refused to speak with investigators on the instructions of his family.

The sheriff stressed that the teenager had never been on the radar of law enforcement or the school. He also added there was no evidence the suspect had been bullied by his peers.

“There is nothing that he could have faced that would warrant senseless, absolutely brutal violence on other kids,” said Mr Bouchard.

US Teenager Who Shot 4 Students Dead Set To Be Charged As An Adult

He noted that the suspect’s parents had been called to the school hours before the shooting “for behaviour in the classroom that was concerning”.

Investigators have found the suspect loaded his firearm – purchased by his father on Friday – in the bathroom and then walked through the hallway firing more than 30 shots from the weapon.

ALSO READ:  US consulate opens centres in Enugu, Edo.

Mr Bouchard said the suspect appeared to fire indiscriminately during the attack at the school of around 1,700 students.

Tate Myre reportedly tried to disarm the shooter, and more than 75,000 people have signed a petition calling for the school to rename its football stadium after Tate.

The 16-year-old, who played on the football team, died in a police officer’s car on the way to hospital.

Madisyn and Hana also died on Tuesday, while Justin was confirmed dead on Wednesday.

Among those admitted to hospital, a 17-year-old female student remains in critical condition with a gunshot wound to the chest.

Continue Reading

World

UK Puts Nigeria On Red Lists, Over Increase in Covid19 Omicron Variant

Published

on

By

UK Puts Nigeria On Red Lists, Over Increase in Covid19 Omicron Variant
Spread the love

UK Puts Nigeria On Red Lists, Over Increase in Covid19 Omicron Variant

The UK Government has said Nigeria will be added to the countries on its red list.

This is due to the discovery of COVID-19 Omicron cases linked to Nigeria.

The decision was announced in a tweet by the UK on Saturday.

According to the new protocol, non-UK and non-Irish citizens who are travelling in from Nigeria will not be allowed entry into the UK.

Although the ban is described as temporary, the UK said the new protocol does not apply to persons “staying airside and only transiting through”.

ALSO READ:  Nigerian embassy in Canada shut down following an attack on its staff.

Details to follow..

Continue Reading

World

Nigerian Troops Sent To Mali To Make Peace

Published

on

By

Nigerian Troops Sent To Mali To Make Peace
Spread the love

Nigerian Troops Sent To Mali To Make Peace

A contingent of 62 troops of the Martin Luther Agwai International leadership and peacekeeping center (MLAILPKC) has been deployed to Mali for the multi-Dimensional integrated stabilization Mission (MINUSMA).

The troops were deployed after an intensive and comprehensive three weeks training in line with the United Nations pre-deployment modules.

Speaking at the graduation ceremony of the Nigerian Medical (NIMED) level 8 II hospital MINUSMA Mali pre-deployment training in Jaji, Kaduna state, the Commandant of the center, Major General Auwal Fagge, said the troops underwent the four phases of the pre-deployment training.

ALSO READ:  Lebanon Govt. resigns in the wake of the devastating Beirut explosion

“Phase 1 of the training involved weapon training, basic military skills and lane, phase 2 exposed troops to UN specific peacekeeping training which covered the core pre deployment training material.”

“It also covered relevant lesson in some standardizes training material include cross cutting thematic issues like protection of civilian, conflict related sexual violence, child protection and sexual exploitation and abuse.

“In phase 3, troops went through mission specific training aimed at impacting practical knowledge on mission environment mandates, tasks, culture of the host nation and other specific training such as ROEs through scenario base exercise and phase 4 involved the integration training which brings together all the theoretical lesson to enhance decision making within the unit and the vitalization of the real mission condition.”

ALSO READ:  US To Set Panel To Check The Capabilities Of Trump

Nigerian Troops Sent To Mali To Make Peace

He said the center will continue to provide quality training for troops earmarked for peace support operations in order to prepare them for multidimensional challenges in contemporary peacekeeping environments, which have become very dynamic and complex.

“The philosophy behind the training is in line with headquarters’ vision of deploying quality peacekeepers for peace support operations. The mission specific training received by the units is meant to provide the troops with requisite skills to enable them operate under the prevailing condition in Mali, in a most professional manner,” he added.

The Chief of Training, Army Headquarters, Major Abdulslam Ibrahim, who was the guest of honour noted that the technique and procedure impacted on the troops during the training will put them in a good frame of mind to discharge their duties in the mission area.

ALSO READ:  World War III loading as US sends 3,000 troops to Middle East

Represented by Deputy Chief of Training, Brigadier-General Hassan T. Dada, he said the pre-deployment training was aimed at equipping troops with the knowledge and expertise to function in peace support operations.

Continue Reading

Trending