Connect with us

News

Comeback to pretest in Kaduna And see something – El-rufai Dares NLC

Published

on

Comeback to pretest in Kaduna And see something - El-rufai Dares NLC
Spread the love

El-Rufai Dares NLC To Return To Kaduna For Protest by Deltafirstson(m): 6:27pm On Jun 19
Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai has dared the the Nigerian Labour Congress to return to Kaduna for protest again.

The governor in a radio interview in Kaduna on Thursday night said the NLC leadership was paid from Abuja to organise the last protest in Kaduna.

NLC had held the protest against a planned mass sack of workers by the state government which said it was spending too much on the state’s revenue on its civil servants.

The federal government stepped in after three days of the five-day warning strike and got the two parties to the negotiation table.

But Mr El-Rufai’s tone since the truce shows he is not mollified.

“We know what happened, the NLC were paid from Abuja to come to Kaduna and protest and we know who gave them money, we will soon expose them,” Mr El-Rufai said in the interview.

ALSO READ:  One Killed In Southern Kaduna As Soldiers Shoot At Protesting Women

He said the NLC staged the protest without any concrete evidence that the state had retrenched public servants inappropriately.

“Everything the NLC said was a lie, the state government did not sack any civil servant. In fact as I speak to you now, the state government is screening the credentials of the over 30,000 civil servants in the state. It is based on that that we are going to releive those we find guilty of their employment.

“Some civil servant have fake certificates, some are using other people’s certificates. We are checking all that and when we finish we will do away with them. So what the NLC is saying about the state is wrong.”

The governor further repeated his threat to prosecute all those who participated in the NLC protest.

ALSO READ:  Wike urges due process in trial of Nnamdi Kanu

The protest resulted to the cutting off of Kaduna from the electricity national grid for three days before the intervention of the federal government.

The state government insisted on its plan to sack civil servants it consider excess load despite the intervention.

Sacking of political appointees
Governor El-Rufai said he has so far sacked 99 political appointees.

“We have asked our commissioners and permanent secretaries to cut down the number of their aides to just two. We have also reviewed some of the appointments and have since sacked 99 of them so far.”

Asked why he did not make the list public, Mr El-Rufai said it was deliberate to make it secret to protect those affected.

The governor also spoke on why the state government increased tuition fees in its tertiary institutions.

ALSO READ:  Anambra State Covid-19 Case Not True - Commissioner for Information

“We have to do that, yet what we say students should pay is still not enough. But we have to do that to sustain our institutions. Many parents spend thousands of naira to pay for their children’s primary and secondary education, but coming to the university of polytechnic, they pay less and they are complaining. We can’t run our institutions like that.

“We have provided scholarships for our students and even education loans, we have sponsored some of our bright students to overseas and they are doing well. Even the less privileged who cannot afford it at all we take it upon ourselves to support them throughout.

“All you have to do is to provide us with your father’s tax certificate. We will review it and we take it from there. We sponsor you fully.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Lai Mohammed unhappy media is underreporting military success against bandits

Published

on

By

Lai Mohammed unhappy media is underreporting military success against bandits
Spread the love

Lai Mohammed unhappy media is underreporting military success against bandits

Lai Mohammed says the military has already drastically reduced banditry.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, has called on the media to give more attention to the military’s offensive against bandits in the northwest region.

Military operations against them have been stepped up in recent weeks, with the government shutting down telecommunications services in many parts of Zamfara, Katsina, and Sokoto to cut off the bandits’ information flow.

Mohammed said during a meeting with the Katsina State government on Tuesday, September 21, 2021 that the strategy is working, and has already drastically reduced banditry.

ALSO READ:  Anambra State Covid-19 Case Not True - Commissioner for Information

Lai Mohammed unhappy media is underreporting military success against bandits

The minister however lamented that the government’s positive efforts have not received the kind of media attention given to the bandits.

“There is no doubt that the table is turning against the bandits, since Katsina and other affected states came up with a number of novel measures that got the bandits boxed in, and the military stepped up its kinetic approach,” he said.

The 69-year-old said the government’s success ‘should be trumpeted’ so as to encourage more states to adopt similar measures, and boost the morale of security agencies.

He said the government is very worried about the wave of violence in the northwest region, and expressed confidence the military will soon put an end to it.

Continue Reading

News

Reps to investigate exclusion of Rivers from World Bank loan benefits

Published

on

By

Reps to investigate exclusion of Rivers from World Bank loan benefits
Spread the love

Reps to investigate exclusion of Rivers from World Bank loan benefits

House of Representatives on Wednesday called for investigation into the alleged exclusion of Rivers from projects to be financed by a fresh World Bank loan.

Solomon Bob (PDP-Rivers) had alleged in the house that Rivers is the only state that would not benefit from the loans.

He stated that the report, if true, rendered the Federal Government’s action as contrary to the spirit and letters of the 1999 Constitution.

He added that it would be discriminatory against the people of Rivers and capable of creating a sense of alienation, exclusion and discontent.

ALSO READ:  Rice miller loses N188m goods as thugs continue looting in Adamawa

Bob added that the house had a responsibility to ensure that the affairs of the federation were conducted in accordance with the Constitution and the law of equity and fairness.

This, he said, should be followed with an overriding responsibility to deploy its Constitutional powers to ensure compliance on the part of the Executive.

He added that Nigeria is a federation that professes equity, fairness and social justice and that there were several constitutional provisions prohibiting all forms of discrimination on the basis of partisan leaning, religion, place of origin or tribe.

Reps to investigate exclusion of Rivers from World Bank loan benefits

He said that some sections of the Constitution imposed a duty on the Federal Government to ensure equitable distribution of resources and projects across the federation.

ALSO READ:  Senate Moves To Establish Commission Against Illegal Use Of Guns

The consequently mandated its Committee on Aids, Loans and Debt Management to liaise with the office of the Adviser on National Assembly Matters to the President to ascertain the veracity of the allegation.

It also mandated the committee to revert in 14 days for further legislative action.

The house noted that if other states were listed, Rivers should be included to benefit from the projects to be executed with the fresh loan.

(NAN)

Continue Reading

News

Nemesis Is Coming On Those Attacking Me, Benue People – Gov Ortom

Published

on

By

Nemesis Is Coming On Those Attacking Me, Benue People - Gov Ortom
Spread the love

Nemesis Is Coming On Those Attacking Me, Benue People – Gov Ortom

Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue State has expressed optimism that those attacking him for voicing out the criminal activities of suspected Fulani herdsmen would one day face the nemesis of their actions.

In an interview with DAILY POST, the governor expressed hope that the Supreme God would vindicate him following the attacks he had suffered while defending his people, stressing that the day of reckoning is coming.

The Governor accused some political actors in the state of sabotaging the interest of the people just to remain as Minister or gain the position of a party’s national chairman.

ALSO READ:  Ganduje Says He Will Be Active In Politics Beyond 2023

Nemesis Is Coming On Those Attacking Me, Benue People – Gov Ortom

He said, “I will say it’s well. God will help us. All these things they are doing; the day of reckoning is coming. I can assure you. All these injustices; all the things that I have suffered on behalf of my people; the day of reckoning will come for all these blackmailers who have come out now to cause confusion in Benue State.

“The same people had benefited immensely from our people who voted them, but they are now turning our state into IDPs camps.

“God will judge us. And because they want to be National Chairman, they want to remain as Ministers, they do press conferences, they insult the people and walk on their graves and across their dead bodies. The day of reckoning is coming. Watch my words! I serve the living God”.

ALSO READ:  Ritualists Behead Security Guard In Ondo, Remove Vital Organs (Photos)

DAILY POST recalls that the governor had recently been in war of words with the presidency and the Minister of Special Duties and Inter-governmental Affairs, Senator George Akume over his calls on President Muhammadu Buhari to tackle the security situation in Benue and other parts of the country.

Continue Reading

Trending