Connect with us

World

Capital Of Sudan Locked Down Over Coup, Deadly Unrest

Published

on

Capital Of Sudan Locked Down Over Coup, Deadly Unrest
Spread the love

Capital Of Sudan Locked Down Over Coup, Deadly Unrest

A child gestures in front of a burning road barricade during what the information ministry calls a military coup in Khartoum, Sudan, October 25, 2021. REUTERS-El Tayeb Siddig

Roads were blocked, shops were shut, phones were down and people queued for bread in Sudan on Tuesday, a day after the army seized power in a coup that triggered unrest in which at least seven people were killed.

Life came to a halt in the capital Khartoum and its twin city Omdurman across the Nile, with roads blocked either by soldiers or by barricades erected by protesters. Calls for a general strike could be heard blaring from mosque loudspeakers.

The night appeared to have passed comparatively quietly after Monday’s unrest when protesters took to the streets after soldiers arrested Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok and other civilians in the cabinet. A health ministry official said seven people had been killed in clashes between protesters and the security forces.

ALSO READ:  US Court Jails Sulemon Arowokoko For 44 Months Over Wire Fraud, Identity Theft

The leader of the takeover, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, dissolved the military-civilian Sovereign Council set up to guide Sudan to democracy following the overthrow of long-ruling autocrat Omar al-Bashir in a popular uprising two years ago.

Capital Of Sudan Locked Down Over Coup, Deadly Unrest

Burhan announced a state of emergency, saying the armed forces needed to protect safety and security. He promised to hold elections in July 2023 and hand over to an elected civilian government then. On Tuesday he dissolved committees that govern trade unions, Arabic news channels reported.

The Sudan information ministry, still loyal to Hamdok, said on its Facebook page the transitional constitution gave only the prime minister the right to declare an emergency and the military’s actions were a crime. Hamdok was still the legitimate transitional authority, it said.

The main roads and bridge between Khartoum and Omdurman were closed to vehicles by the military. Banks and cash machines were shut, and mobile phone apps widely used for money transfers could not be accessed. Some bakeries were open in Omdurman but people were queuing for several hours, longer than usual.

ALSO READ:  WTO: 79 Countries Endorse Okonjo-iweala’s Candidacy

“We are paying the price for this crisis,” a man in his 50s looking for medicine at one of the pharmacies where stocks have been running low said angrily. “We can’t work, we can’t find bread, there are no services, no money.”

The Sudanese Professionals Association, an activist coalition that played a major role in the uprising that toppled Bashir, has called for a strike.

Hamdok, an economist and former senior U.N. official, was detained and taken to an undisclosed location on Monday after refusing to issue a statement in support of the takeover, the information ministry said. Troops also arrested other civilian government figures and members of the Sovereign Council.

ALSO READ:  Israel's Alexander River Turns Red With Blood ‘like Biblical Plague Of Egypt’

Western governments have condemned the coup, called for the release of the detained civilian leaders and threatened to cut off aid, which Sudan needs to recover from an economic crisis.

The United States has said it was immediately pausing delivery of $700 million in emergency support.

Sudan has been ruled for most of its post-colonial history by military leaders who seized power in coups. It had become a pariah to the West and was on a U.S. terrorism blacklist under Bashir, who hosted Osama bin Laden in the 1990s and is wanted by the International Criminal Court in the Hague for war crimes.

Since Bashir was toppled, the military shared power uneasily with civilians under a transition meant to lead to elections in 2023. The country had been on edge since last month when a failed coup plot, blamed on Bashir supporters, unleashed recriminations between the military and civilians.

Photos

Today.ng

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

US Teenager Who Shot 4 Students Dead Set To Be Charged As An Adult

Published

on

By

US Teenager Who Shot 4 Students Dead Set To Be Charged As An Adult
Spread the love

US Teenager Who Shot 4 Students Dead Set To Be Charged As An Adult

The suspect in a Michigan school shooting will face charges of terrorism and first-degree murder following a rampage that left four students dead and seven injured.

Prosecutors on Wednesday charged Oxford High School student Ethan Crumbley, 15, as an adult.

He has pleaded not guilty. Police are yet to identify a motive in the attack.

The victims were named as Tate Myre, 16, Madisyn Baldwin, 17, Hana St Juliana, 14, and Justin Shilling, 17.

Announcing the charges on Wednesday, Oakland County prosecutor Karen McDonald said her office had “a mountain of digital evidence” to show the suspect had planned the attack “well before the incident”.

One such instance is a video of the suspect the night before the shooting, in which he discusses killing students.

ALSO READ:  China Sets To Create A Trustworthy, Lovable And Respectable Image

“This isn’t even a close call,” she said. “This was not an impulsive act.”

She added that it was “absolutely premeditated”.

Ms McDonald said the teen will face one count of terrorism, four counts of first-degree murder, seven counts of assault with intent to murder, and 12 counts of possession of a firearm, with further charges likely as the investigation unfolds.

At a later news conference, Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard said charging the suspect as an adult was “the most appropriate” action.

“I agree with holding this individual wholly and completely responsible for the deplorable, tragic event that occurred by his choice,” he said.

The suspect will be transferred from a juvenile detention centre to the local county jail, where he will be held without bond.

ALSO READ:  'Nervous Nancy is an inherently 'dumb' person she needs to be overthrown'- Trump

The teenager has refused to speak with investigators on the instructions of his family.

The sheriff stressed that the teenager had never been on the radar of law enforcement or the school. He also added there was no evidence the suspect had been bullied by his peers.

“There is nothing that he could have faced that would warrant senseless, absolutely brutal violence on other kids,” said Mr Bouchard.

US Teenager Who Shot 4 Students Dead Set To Be Charged As An Adult

He noted that the suspect’s parents had been called to the school hours before the shooting “for behaviour in the classroom that was concerning”.

Investigators have found the suspect loaded his firearm – purchased by his father on Friday – in the bathroom and then walked through the hallway firing more than 30 shots from the weapon.

ALSO READ:  Ghanaian President, Nana Akufo-Addo Apologises To President Buhari Over Embassy Demolition —Presidency

Mr Bouchard said the suspect appeared to fire indiscriminately during the attack at the school of around 1,700 students.

Tate Myre reportedly tried to disarm the shooter, and more than 75,000 people have signed a petition calling for the school to rename its football stadium after Tate.

The 16-year-old, who played on the football team, died in a police officer’s car on the way to hospital.

Madisyn and Hana also died on Tuesday, while Justin was confirmed dead on Wednesday.

Among those admitted to hospital, a 17-year-old female student remains in critical condition with a gunshot wound to the chest.

Continue Reading

World

UK Puts Nigeria On Red Lists, Over Increase in Covid19 Omicron Variant

Published

on

By

UK Puts Nigeria On Red Lists, Over Increase in Covid19 Omicron Variant
Spread the love

UK Puts Nigeria On Red Lists, Over Increase in Covid19 Omicron Variant

The UK Government has said Nigeria will be added to the countries on its red list.

This is due to the discovery of COVID-19 Omicron cases linked to Nigeria.

The decision was announced in a tweet by the UK on Saturday.

According to the new protocol, non-UK and non-Irish citizens who are travelling in from Nigeria will not be allowed entry into the UK.

Although the ban is described as temporary, the UK said the new protocol does not apply to persons “staying airside and only transiting through”.

ALSO READ:  Israel's Alexander River Turns Red With Blood ‘like Biblical Plague Of Egypt’

Details to follow..

Continue Reading

World

Nigerian Troops Sent To Mali To Make Peace

Published

on

By

Nigerian Troops Sent To Mali To Make Peace
Spread the love

Nigerian Troops Sent To Mali To Make Peace

A contingent of 62 troops of the Martin Luther Agwai International leadership and peacekeeping center (MLAILPKC) has been deployed to Mali for the multi-Dimensional integrated stabilization Mission (MINUSMA).

The troops were deployed after an intensive and comprehensive three weeks training in line with the United Nations pre-deployment modules.

Speaking at the graduation ceremony of the Nigerian Medical (NIMED) level 8 II hospital MINUSMA Mali pre-deployment training in Jaji, Kaduna state, the Commandant of the center, Major General Auwal Fagge, said the troops underwent the four phases of the pre-deployment training.

ALSO READ:  'Nervous Nancy is an inherently 'dumb' person she needs to be overthrown'- Trump

“Phase 1 of the training involved weapon training, basic military skills and lane, phase 2 exposed troops to UN specific peacekeeping training which covered the core pre deployment training material.”

“It also covered relevant lesson in some standardizes training material include cross cutting thematic issues like protection of civilian, conflict related sexual violence, child protection and sexual exploitation and abuse.

“In phase 3, troops went through mission specific training aimed at impacting practical knowledge on mission environment mandates, tasks, culture of the host nation and other specific training such as ROEs through scenario base exercise and phase 4 involved the integration training which brings together all the theoretical lesson to enhance decision making within the unit and the vitalization of the real mission condition.”

ALSO READ:  US Court Jails Sulemon Arowokoko For 44 Months Over Wire Fraud, Identity Theft

Nigerian Troops Sent To Mali To Make Peace

He said the center will continue to provide quality training for troops earmarked for peace support operations in order to prepare them for multidimensional challenges in contemporary peacekeeping environments, which have become very dynamic and complex.

“The philosophy behind the training is in line with headquarters’ vision of deploying quality peacekeepers for peace support operations. The mission specific training received by the units is meant to provide the troops with requisite skills to enable them operate under the prevailing condition in Mali, in a most professional manner,” he added.

The Chief of Training, Army Headquarters, Major Abdulslam Ibrahim, who was the guest of honour noted that the technique and procedure impacted on the troops during the training will put them in a good frame of mind to discharge their duties in the mission area.

ALSO READ:  US orders closure of China's consulate in Houston

Represented by Deputy Chief of Training, Brigadier-General Hassan T. Dada, he said the pre-deployment training was aimed at equipping troops with the knowledge and expertise to function in peace support operations.

Continue Reading

Trending