Connect with us

Politics

Anambra Guber: INEC Expresses Fear Over IPOB Week-Long Sit-At-Home Order

Published

on

Anambra Guber: INEC Expresses Fear Over IPOB Week-Long Sit-At-Home Order
Spread the love

Anambra Guber: INEC Expresses Fear Over IPOB Week-Long Sit-At-Home Order

Following a week-long sit-at-home order declared by the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) ahead of the November 6 Anambra State governorship election, the State Resident Electoral Commissioner of INEC, Dr Nkwachukwu Orji has said the group fresh order may threaten its preparations for the poll.

Orji also said attacks on INEC facilities in the state on May 23 were a source of worry to the commission, especially as it strives to achieve huge success in the poll.

He also disclosed that the commission had so far recruited and mobilised about 25, 000 Ad hoc staff that would man the 5, 720 polling units in the state.

ALSO READ:  Insecurity In Anambra: FG should be blamed - Peter Obi

He spoke shortly after the opening ceremony of the Election Monitoring and Support Centre (EMSC) AMBER Zone Implementers Workshop held in the state.

“Our preparations are on course, even with all the challenges we are facing, such as the attacks on our state office on May 23rd and the Sit-At-Home order, which is eating into our preparations.

Anambra Guber: INEC Expresses Fear Over IPOB Week-Long Sit-At-Home Order

“But we are doing our best to ensure that we overcome these challenges and we can only urge the public to be law abiding in order to achieve the desired electoral success in the state,” he said.

ALSO READ:  INEC Office Set Ablaze By Bandits In Enugu

Orji noted that the commission was already recruiting Ad hoc staff online and at the same time interacting with stakeholders. He expressed satisfaction at what they had achieved so far, in terms of human structure.

He said if the success continued without future interruptions of its activities, the commission would confidently be ready by Nov. 6 to conduct a free, fair and peaceful election.

Orji, however, dismissed claims by some stakeholders that the commission’s earlier decision to supply non- sensitive materials for the election from its Southeastern zonal store in Owerri, Imo, would jeopardise the smooth conduct of the poll.

Orji said the determination of the commission to bring all the needed materials for the poll down to Awka remained unshaken, pointing out that the damaged structures at the INEC headquarters were being restored.

ALSO READ:  Appeal Court Affirms Obaseki’s Victory

“The sensitive materials will go to the Central Bank of Nigeria branch in Awka. But we are not talking about sensitive materials here. So there is no need for the alarm being raised.

“The commission is working according to plans to put all things in place by the end of this month.

“Election process is something that do not have room for mistakes. We make sure that in the process of preparing for election, all that are needed would be on ground”, he said.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Electronic Voting Being Opposed By Prominent Nigerians – INEC

Published

on

By

Electronic Voting Being Opposed By Prominent Nigerians - INEC
Spread the love

Electronic Voting Being Opposed By Prominent Nigerians – INEC

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) yesterday raised concern over efforts by some influential Nigerians to undermine electronic voting.

According to INEC, some persons are working hard to undermine the use of the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS) for future elections.

This is coming just as the commission has also raised the alarm over the activities of hackers in its operations.

The commission stated that since 2015, hackers have been trying to get into its system in order to compromise the electoral processes without success.

The resident electoral commissioner (REC) in charge of Akwa Ibom State, Barrister Mike Igini and director ICT at INEC headquarters, Chidi Nwafor made the revelations during a stakeholders’ roundtable on electoral technology organised by Yiaga Africa in Abuja.

ALSO READ:  Appeal Court Affirms Obaseki’s Victory

Igini, who first spoke, said: “The problem we are having in this country has to do with people who are out to undermine it. As we are working on the BVAS, people are out there to undermine it.

Electronic Voting Being Opposed By Prominent Nigerians – INEC

“They are out there to undermine the process and we do nothing about it. There is an urgent need to bring people (who violate the process) to face the law.

“It is only then people will know that there will be consequences for their actions.”

On his part, Nwafor said, “Hackers have been trying to get into our system. I can tell you that in all the elections, from 2015 to 2019. I know it will happen in 2023 but God has been with us.”

ALSO READ:  INEC Office Set Ablaze By Bandits In Enugu

Also speaking, the president of Nigeria Computer Society, Prof Adesina Sodiya backed the use of electronic voting in future elections.

Sodiya said the country was ripe enough to adopt the technology for its elections.

But the spokesperson of the Senate, Ajibola Bashiru disagreed, saying the infrastructure to cover every corner of the country during elections was not available.

Basiru said the country was not ready to adopt an electronic voting system for its elections because of gaps in network coverage.

Basiru, who is representing Osun Central, argued that some communities in his state are without GSM network adding that such people may be disenfranchised if e-voting were to be adopted.

ALSO READ:  Abacha Stole Close To $1bn As Head Of State, Says President Buhari

“Apart from the issue of coverage, I can tell you in Osun Central that there are certain wards and certain polling units that you cannot even get any of the existing networks even in terms of voice or 2G.

That is not data from NCC but practical knowledge.

“We need to not see this as a matter that is for only areas where advancement has been to in respect of elections.

Continue Reading

Politics

2023: Only the North Central can rescue Nigeria – Baraje

Published

on

By

2023: Only the North Central can rescue Nigeria – Baraje
Spread the love

2023: Only the North Central can rescue Nigeria – Baraje

Former National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Abubakar Kawu Baraje has declared that only a President from the north-central zone can rescue Nigeria from it’s current state of comatose.

Baraje, who stated this when he led a team of PDP Advocates to consult on behalf of former Senate President, Bukola Saraki for the Presidency at the PDP secretariat in Minna, Niger State, said all that is required is for the zone to adopt a consensus candidate.

He argued that in order to actualize their ambition, the north-central zone need to come out in a united front and present one candidate who can give the zone the presidency come 2023.

ALSO READ:  Ortom: PDP Governors Warn Highly-Placed Ministers Against Nigeria’s Distability

The former National Chairman of the PDP stated, “for the past years we have worked for other zones, we have assumed positions as national Chairman of the PDP severally and produced Presidents but this time around whether the national Chairman is from our zone, the North Central will still produce the next President.”

Baraje explained that former Senate President has the character, capacity and competency required to bring the nation out of it’s present challenges.

He insisted, “Saraki has the capacity for the job. He will not be like those who are over 70 years old and travelling abroad for months not minding what happens to the people and the nation.

ALSO READ:  Abacha Stole Close To $1bn As Head Of State, Says President Buhari

2023: Only the North Central can rescue Nigeria – Baraje

“Even if the north-central produces the next party chairman, the zone will still vie for the presidency in 2023.”

The former Governor of Kwara State, Sha’aba Lafiaji explained that if the zone must succeed in actualizing it’s desire, there is the need to adopt a consensus candidate.

According to him, “Enough of pushing the position of national chairman position to us. This time around we must be firm on a Presidential aspirants from the zone. We all need to adopt a consensus candidate from the zone and that candidate is Bukola Saraki.”

Responding, the state PDP Chairman, Barrister Tanko Beji assured of the support of the state towards the north central consensus candidate to ensure victory in the 2023 adding that it is time that the north-central has its place in the helm of affairs of Nigeria.

ALSO READ:  INEC Office Set Ablaze By Bandits In Enugu

“We are willing to give their support to Senator Abubakar Bukola Saraki or any other consensus candidate that would be agreed upon by the zone,” he stated.

Continue Reading

Politics

APC Sets To Scrutinize Ngige, Moghalu Over Anti-Party Activities

Published

on

By

APC Sets To Scrutinize Ngige, Moghalu Over Anti-Party Activities
Spread the love

APC Sets To Scrutinize Ngige, Moghalu Over Anti-Party Activities

The All Progressives Congress, Anambra State chapter, has announced that a disciplinary committee had been formed to examine Minister of Labour and Employment Dr Chris Ngige and Director-General of National Inland Waterways Chief George Moghalu after both were accused of conducting anti-APC activities.

The news was announced by APC State Chairman Basil Ejidike in Awka on Monday, in which he also accused them of causing a crisis in the party.

“We are seriously disappointed by Senator Chris Ngige and Moghalu, who benefited greatly from the party,” said Mr Ejidike. “As a party, we are seriously disappointed, particularly with Ngige. Ngige is the brain behind the crisis in Anambra state APC.

ALSO READ:  INEC Office Set Ablaze By Bandits In Enugu

APC Sets To Scrutinize Ngige, Moghalu Over Anti-Party Activities

“Whatever is the problem of the party has always come from Ngige because he wants to remain the leader of the party in the state forever.

“He cannot be the leader forever. Today, we have a sitting deputy governor, Dr Nkem Okeke, a serving senator, Chief Stella Oduah, and governorship candidate in the state, Dr Andy Uba.

“We have set up a disciplinary committee to unravel those who are engaged in anti-party activities; including the activities of Ngige and Moghalu. Any person found culpable shall be dealt with according to the letters of our constitution.”

ALSO READ:  It's Criminal to Equate N’Delta Militants with Bandits - Clark

Mr Ngige previously warned Mr Ejidike against creating “a Trojan Horse” in the party and “look inwards and manage the self-inflicted tear in the State Exco and Working Committee of the Party”.

Continue Reading

Trending