Connect with us

World

Donald Trump Supports Nigeria’s Twitter Ban, Says He should Have Done The Same

Published

on

Donald Trump Supports Nigeria's Twitter Ban, Says He should Have Done The Same
Spread the love

Former President Donald Trump on Tuesday came out in support of the Nigerian government’s decision to block access to Twitter in the West African country — and called on more nations to follow suit.

“Congratulations to the country of Nigeria, who just banned Twitter because they banned their President,” Trump said in an emailed statement.

“More COUNTRIES should ban Twitter and Facebook for not allowing free and open speech—all voices should be heard.

“In the meantime,” the former president continued, “competitors will emerge and take hold. Who are they to dictate good and evil if they themselves are evil? Perhaps I should have done it while I was President. But [Facebook founder Mark] Zuckerberg kept calling me and coming to the White House for dinner telling me how great I was. 2024?”

ALSO READ:  Deadly clashes in India's Bengaluru over Facebook post on Prophet

Nigeria’s Federal Ministry of Information and Culture announced Friday that Twitter’s operations had been “suspended indefinitely” due to its use for “activities that are capable of undermining Nigeria’s corporate existence.” The ministry was widely mocked for posting its statement about blocking Twitter on its Twitter account.

Earlier last week, the social media giant that has been rebuked for censoring mostly conservative viewpoints, deleted a tweet by Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari that appeared to threaten secessionist groups in the Biafra region.

“Many of those misbehaving today are too young to be aware of the destruction and loss of lives that occurred during the Nigerian Civil War,” Buhari tweeted, referring to the Biafra Conflict, which killed 1 million people between 1967 and 1970. “Those of us in the fields for 30 months, who went through the war, will treat them in the language they understand.”

ALSO READ:  God cannot just be here in Uganda looking after idiots- Uganda President advises his people on the COVID-19 Pandemic

In addition to deleting the tweet as violating its “abusive behavior” policy, Twitter suspended Buhari’s account for 12 hours.

“We are deeply concerned by the blocking of Twitter in Nigeria. Access to the free and #OpenInternet is an essential human right in modern society,” Twitter said in a statement Saturday. “We will work to restore access for all those in Nigeria who rely on Twitter to communicate and connect with the world.”

Trump himself received a permanent ban from Twitter in the wake of the Jan. 6 riot at the US Capitol. Facebook announced Friday that its own ban on the former president would remain in place until at least Jan. 7, 2023, but could be extended. Last month, a Facebook review board upheld the president’s suspension, but criticized its open-ended aspect.

ALSO READ:  US election: Nigeria Supporters Of Trump Parade Him, Say It's A Great Honor (Video)

Trump called Facebook’s decision “an insult to the record-setting 75M people, plus many others, who voted for us in the 2020 Rigged Presidential Election.

“They shouldn’t be allowed to get away with this censoring and silencing, and ultimately, we will win,” Trump added. “Our Country can’t take this abuse anymore!”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

Man Executed Publicly In Yemen After Murdering His 3 Daughters [Pics]

Published

on

By

Man Executed Publicly In Yemen After Murdering His 3 Daughters [Pics]
Spread the love

A dad has been publicly executed after being found guilty of murdering his three daughters.

Ali Abdullah al-Noami left his three daughters Rahaf, 7, Raghad, 12, and Malak, 14, to drown in a water tank after a row with his wife.

Along with two other convicted child-killers – Abdullah Ali al-Mukahali, 38, and Mohammed Abdullah Arman, 33 – the forty-year-old was led out into Tahrir Square in the centre of Yemen’s constitutional capital Sana’a and made to kneel on a red carpet.

An executioner wielding a Kalashnikov AK-47 assault rifle then shot all three men in the back in full view of a large crowd of spectators, some of whom were filming the executions on their mobile phones and video cameras.

ALSO READ:  Saudi king sacks commander of Yemen forces over corruption claims

Abdullah Ali al-Mukahali and Mohammed Abdullah Arman had been convicted of raping and killing an eight-year-old boy named Mohammed al-Haddad.

Current laws in Yemen allow the death penalty for a wide range of crimes including murder, kidnapping, rape, adultery, homosexuality, and a number of religious offences.

After the three men were shot, a medic quickly checked each body to ensure that they were all dead.

All three bodies were wrapped in white body bags, which soldiers in camouflage uniforms then carried away.

It was the first public execution in the city since August 2018, when three men convicted of raping and killing a child were shot, and then had their bodies displayed hanging from a crane.

ALSO READ:  Macron slams Turkey's 'violation' of Greek, Cypriot sovereignty

While many countries retain the death penalty, most notably China which executes more of its convicts than the rest of the world put together, only a handful carry out public executions.

North Korea and Somalia have been known to publicly execute convicts, along with a handful of Arab counties including Iran, Syria, Saudi Arabia, and Hamas-held regions of Palestine.

Yemen currently has two rival governments, one based in Sana’a under the control of Iranian-backed Houthi rebels and a second one controlled from Aden.

There has been tension between Yemen’s northern and southern territories for generations but the current split dates from 2017.

Continue Reading

World

Joe Biden picks Israel, Mexico, NATO ambassadors

Published

on

By

Joe Biden picks Israel, Mexico, NATO ambassadors
Spread the love

President Joe Biden on Tuesday announced his nominees to be ambassadors to Israel, Mexico and NATO, as he moves to strengthen U.S. alliances in tough regions.

Among a slate of names announced by the White House on Tuesday were Thomas Nides, a Morgan Stanley (MS.N) vice-chairman who served as a deputy secretary of state under former president Barack Obama, to serve as the ambassador to Israel.

The close U.S. ally is welcoming a new government after Israel’s parliament ended Benjamin Netanyahu’s 12-year run as prime minister on Sunday.

Biden also picked Ken Salazar, a former U.S. senator from Colorado and interior secretary, as his ambassador to Mexico. The country is one of the United States’ biggest trading partners and the Biden administration is working to manage immigration across the U.S.-Mexican border.

ALSO READ:  Senate panel concludes Russia interfered in 2016 US election

He also chose security expert Julianne Smith to represent the United States on the Council of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, a key Western bulwark against Russia.

Biden and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin are set to meet in Geneva on Wednesday at a time of increased tensions between the two powers.

The White House also said Biden picked C. B. “Sully” Sullenberger to be an ambassador and serve as the U.S. representative on the Council of the International Civil Aviation Organization.

Sullenberger rose to fame in 2009 after gliding his Airbus A320 to a safe landing on the Hudson River after hitting a flock of geese shortly after takeoff, in what became known as the “Miracle on the Hudson.” He also joined Biden on the campaign trail when he was running for president.

ALSO READ:  National Security operative stabbed to death

Biden also named his ambassador picks to Sri Lanka, the Gambia, Guinea, Paraguay and Costa Rica.

Reuters.com

Continue Reading

World

Zambia President Edgar Lungu Collapses After ‘Sudden Dizziness’

Published

on

By

Zambia President Edgar Lungu Collapses After 'Sudden Dizziness'
Spread the love

Zambia President Edgar Lungu Collapses After ‘sudden Dizziness’

Zambia President Edgar Lungu collapsed in the capital, Lusaka, during a national defence day event on Sunday, local media reported.

Shortly after, Secretary to the Cabinet, Dr Simon Miti, issued a statement to reporters and the State TV, assuring the local public and the international community that President Lungu “is well and has continued to discharge his duties”.

Zambia President Edgar Lungu Collapses After ‘sudden Dizziness’

Dr Miti disclosed that during the observation of the 45th Defence Force Day Commemoration and Investiture Ceremony, the President experienced “sudden dizziness” but recovered immediately.

ALSO READ:  God cannot just be here in Uganda looking after idiots- Uganda President advises his people on the COVID-19 Pandemic

Mr Lungu is said to have walked to his own to his car and returned to State House.

The Zambian leader had a similar experience in 2015, caused by what the Presidency said was an “oesophagus condition”.

The four-hour defence day ceremony took place at Lusaka’s Freedom Statute on Independence Avenue where the Defence Forces showcased their military prowess.

President Lungu used the event to conduct an investiture ceremony to honour gallant men and women in uniform.

Zambia is preparing for a General Election set for August 12.

President Lungu ascended to power in a by-election necessitated by Michael Sata’s death in 2014

Continue Reading

Trending