Connect with us

World

18 Dead In Sudan Tribal Clash

Published

on

18 Dead In Sudan Tribal Clash
Spread the love

Tribal clashes in Sudan’s restive Darfur region have killed at least 18 people and wounded 54, a local doctors’ committee said Monday.

“The committee recorded 18 fatalities and 54 wounded, who are receiving medical care at Al-Jeneina Teaching Hospital,” the West Darfur Doctors’ Committee said in a statement, citing clashes on Saturday and Sunday.

“On Monday, we woke up to the sound of gunfire… clashes are still ongoing and have spread to the western suburbs of the town (Al-Jeneina),” Abdelrahman Ahmed, an eyewitness, told AFP.

The committee, part of a nationwide independent body formed in 2016 representing the medical community, said an ambulance carrying wounded victims was attacked in the melee.

ALSO READ:  Tanzania's President John Magufuli Dies

Hospitals are still receiving victims, it added.

The vast Darfur region was the scene of a bitter conflict that erupted in 2003, leaving around 300,000 people killed and 2.5 million displaced, according to the United Nations.

The conflict has subsided over the years, but ethnic and tribal clashes still periodically flare in the region over land and access to water.

These clashes often pit nomadic Arab pastoralists against settled farmers from non-Arab ethnic groups.

More than 200 people were killed in tribal clashes in January, in some of the worst bloodshed the region had witnessed in years.

Sudan is in the midst of a rocky transitional period following the toppling of long-time president Omar al-Bashir in April 2019 off the back of mass protests against his rule.

ALSO READ:  Melania Trump Goodbye Message Promotes "Love Over Hatred, Peace Over Violence" (Video)

The transitional government has pushed to build peace with rebel groups in Sudan’s main conflict zones, including Darfur.

On December 31 last year, the UN and African Union ended a 13-year peacekeeping mission in Darfur, even as residents feared further violence erupting in the region.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

911 Attack: Biden Announces The Withdrawal Of U.S Troops From Afghanistan

Published

on

By

911 Attack: Biden Announces The Withdrawal Of U.S Troops From Afghanistan
Spread the love

President Joe Biden on Wednesday formally announced his decision to withdraw American troops from Afghanistan before September 11, the 20th anniversary of the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon that led the US into its longest war.

“We cannot continue the cycle of extending or expanding our military presence in Afghanistan hoping to create the ideal conditions for our withdrawal, expecting a different result,” Biden said.

“I am now the fourth American president to preside over an American troop presence in Afghanistan. Two Republicans. Two Democrats,” he added. “I will not pass this responsibility to a fifth.”

ALSO READ:  Melania Trump Goodbye Message Promotes "Love Over Hatred, Peace Over Violence" (Video)

In a sign he views his remarks as a historic bookend to the prolonged conflict, he delivered them from precisely the same spot in the White House Treaty Room that President George W. Bush announced the start of the war on October 7, 2001.

911 Attack: Biden Announces The Withdrawal Of U.S Troops From Afghanistan

Afterward he’ll visit the section of Arlington National Cemetery where many of America’s war dead from Afghanistan are buried.

Biden will say that American diplomatic and humanitarian efforts will continue in Afghanistan and would support peace efforts between the Afghan government and the Taliban. But he’ll be unequivocal that two decades after it began, the Afghanistan war is ending.

“It is time to end America’s longest war. It is time for American troops to come home,” he said.

ALSO READ:  Tanzania's President John Magufuli Dies

911 Attack: Biden Announces The Withdrawal Of U.S Troops From Afghanistan

Biden said the withdrawal will begin on May 1, in line with an agreement President Donald Trump’s administration made with the Taliban. He said the complete withdrawal will be done by September 11.

The deadline Biden has set is absolute, with no potential for extension based on worsening conditions on the ground. Officials said after two decades of war, it was clear to the President that throwing more time and money at Afghanistan’s problems wasn’t going to work.

“This is not conditions-based,” a senior administration official heavily involved in the deliberations said on Tuesday. “The President has judged that a conditions-based approach, which has been the approach of the past two decades, is a recipe for staying in Afghanistan forever.”

ALSO READ:  World War III loading as US sends 3,000 troops to Middle East

911 Attack: Biden Announces The Withdrawal Of U.S Troops From Afghanistan

Some US troops will remain to protect American diplomats, though officials declined to provide a precise number.

Afghan President Ashraf Ghani said Wednesday he spoke to Biden and that he “respects the US decision.”

“Afghanistan’s proud security and defense forces are fully capable of defending its people and country, which they have been doing all along, and for which the Afghan nation will forever remain grateful,” Ghani said on Twitter.

CNN

Continue Reading

World

Officer who fatally shot Daunte Wright identified as Kimberly Potter

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Protesters, cops clash in Minnesota after fatal police shooting
Daunte Wright protesters march across Manhattan Bridge in NYC

Biden: Daunte Wright protesters have no justification for looting

Timberwolves-Nets game postponed after Daunte Wright shooting

The Minnesota police officer who fatally shot a black man during a Sunday traffic stop has been identified as 26-year veteran Kimberly Potter.

The 48-year-old officer’s identity was released Monday night by the Minnesota Department of Public Safety Bureau of Criminal Apprehension.

Potter acquired her Minnesota police officer’s license in 1995 and the age of 22 and began working for the Brooklyn Center Police Department shortly after, according to state records reviewed by the Star Tribune, who first named the officer.

ALSO READ:  Tanzania's President John Magufuli Dies

During her career, Potter has served on the department’s negotiation team, the newspaper reported.

Potter has been placed on administrative leave following the fatal shooting of 20-year-old Daunte Wright.

Daunte Wright.

Daunte Wright.

Biden on Daunte Wright protesters: ‘Absolutely no justification’ for looting
Brooklyn Center Police Chief Time Gannon has said the officer mistook her gun for a Taser.

Police bodycam footage released Monday shows the officer yelling “Taser! Taser!” as others struggled with Wright in his car.

The video shows Wright stepping out of his car, then leaping back behind the wheel and driving off.

“Holy s–t,” the officer is heard saying on the video. “I just shot him!”

ALSO READ:  2020 US CAMPAIGN: Kanye West Wants More Support For Mothers, Set To Pay $1m Per Baby

Potter is married to a former police officer. She has two adult sons, according to the Tribune.

In August 2019, she was one the first responding officers to the police shooting of Kobe Dimock-Heisler, the report said.

Two officers involved in the shooting were told by Potter to “to exit the residence, get into separate squad cars, turn off their body worn cameras, and to not talk to each other,” according to a Hennepin County Attorney’s Office investigative report.

The Minnesota police officer who fatally shot Daunte Wright has reportedly been identified as 25-year veteran Kimberly Potter.

Nypost.com

Continue Reading

World

Nigerian man disguises as a woman to escape after killing another foreigner

Published

on

By

Nigerian man disguises as a woman to escape after killing another foreigner
Spread the love

Nigerian man disguises as a woman to escape after allegedly killing another foreigner in Libya

A Nigerian national has been arrested in Msallata town, northwestern part of Libya over the alleged murder of another foreigner.

According to The Libya Observer, the Nigerian allegedly killed the foreigner, stole his money and tried to escape the town disguised as a woman.
However, he was arrested by security forces in Msallata.

“Security forces in Msallata town have arrested a foreigner from #Nigeria for killing another foreigner before stealing all his money. The killer disguised himself as a woman in an attempt to escape from the town” the report says.

ALSO READ:  Tanzania's President John Magufuli Dies

Nigerian man disguises as a woman to escape after killing another foreigner

Nigerian man disguises as a woman to escape after killing another foreigner

Nigerian man disguises as a woman to escape after killing another foreigner

Continue Reading

Trending