Connect with us

World

Nigerien Soldiers Arrested For Attempted Coup

Published

on

Nigerien Soldiers Arrested For Attempted Coup
president, Mohamed BazoumIssouf SANOGO AFP/File
Spread the love

The alleged coup took place two days before the inauguration of Niger’s newly-elected

Soldiers were arrested in Niger after an “attempted coup” early Wednesday, a security source said after gunfire broke out in the capital Niamey, adding “the situation is under control”.

Residents reported hearing overnight bursts of gunfire near the presidency, just two days before Mohamed Bazoum is due to take the helm of the coup-prone country.

“There were some arrests among a few members of the army who are behind this attempted coup,” said the source, speaking on condition of anonymity.

“The Presidential Guard retaliated, preventing this group of soldiers from approaching the presidential palace,” said the source.

ALSO READ:  China Approves Two Coronavirus Vaccines For Human Trials

A resident of Niamey’s Plateau district, which includes the president’s official residence and offices, told AFP: “It was around 3.00 am, we heard shots from heavy and light weapons and it lasted 15 minutes before stopping, followed by shots from light weapons.”

“The gunfire lasted about 20 minutes,” another resident said.

A third resident spoke of “intense shooting, with heavy and light weapons”.

Online newspaper actuniger.com reported that calm had returned by around 4.00 am.

In short video clips posted on social networks, only several seconds in length, sporadic bursts of gunfire could be heard in the pitch dark.

It was not yet possible to independently verify the location and timing of the videos.

ALSO READ:  Burundi’s incoming president vows to unite nation isolated over rights abuses

The alleged coup comes ahead of Bazoum’s scheduled inauguration on Friday — the first elected transition in Niger’s history since independence from France in 1960.

Bazoum is a former interior minister and right-hand man of outgoing president Mahamadou Issoufou, who is voluntarily stepping down after two five-year terms.

His victory in the second round of the election on February 2 was confirmed by the constitutional court this month.

The results were contested by Bazoum’s rival, former president Mahamane Ousmane, who claimed he was the real winner.

Ousmane had called for “peaceful marches” across the country, but a planned opposition protest Wednesday in Niamey was banned a day earlier by authorities.

ALSO READ:  Trump And Allies Alleged That The Election Had Been Stolen From Trump.

Niger is the poorest country in the world, according to the benchmark of the UN’s 189-nation Human Development Index.

It has suffered four coups in its history, most recently a February 2010 putsch which toppled then president Mamadou Tandja.

The Sahel country has also recently been struck by repeated jihadist attacks as Islamist movements have spilled over from neighbouring Mali and Nigeria.

AFP

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

911 Attack: Biden Announces The Withdrawal Of U.S Troops From Afghanistan

Published

on

By

911 Attack: Biden Announces The Withdrawal Of U.S Troops From Afghanistan
Spread the love

President Joe Biden on Wednesday formally announced his decision to withdraw American troops from Afghanistan before September 11, the 20th anniversary of the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon that led the US into its longest war.

“We cannot continue the cycle of extending or expanding our military presence in Afghanistan hoping to create the ideal conditions for our withdrawal, expecting a different result,” Biden said.

“I am now the fourth American president to preside over an American troop presence in Afghanistan. Two Republicans. Two Democrats,” he added. “I will not pass this responsibility to a fifth.”

ALSO READ:  Trump And Allies Alleged That The Election Had Been Stolen From Trump.

In a sign he views his remarks as a historic bookend to the prolonged conflict, he delivered them from precisely the same spot in the White House Treaty Room that President George W. Bush announced the start of the war on October 7, 2001.

911 Attack: Biden Announces The Withdrawal Of U.S Troops From Afghanistan

Afterward he’ll visit the section of Arlington National Cemetery where many of America’s war dead from Afghanistan are buried.

Biden will say that American diplomatic and humanitarian efforts will continue in Afghanistan and would support peace efforts between the Afghan government and the Taliban. But he’ll be unequivocal that two decades after it began, the Afghanistan war is ending.

“It is time to end America’s longest war. It is time for American troops to come home,” he said.

ALSO READ:  Official Says US Health Authorities Shipped Faulty Coronavirus Test Kits Across Country

911 Attack: Biden Announces The Withdrawal Of U.S Troops From Afghanistan

Biden said the withdrawal will begin on May 1, in line with an agreement President Donald Trump’s administration made with the Taliban. He said the complete withdrawal will be done by September 11.

The deadline Biden has set is absolute, with no potential for extension based on worsening conditions on the ground. Officials said after two decades of war, it was clear to the President that throwing more time and money at Afghanistan’s problems wasn’t going to work.

“This is not conditions-based,” a senior administration official heavily involved in the deliberations said on Tuesday. “The President has judged that a conditions-based approach, which has been the approach of the past two decades, is a recipe for staying in Afghanistan forever.”

ALSO READ:  Vatican Reports First Case Of Coronavirus

911 Attack: Biden Announces The Withdrawal Of U.S Troops From Afghanistan

Some US troops will remain to protect American diplomats, though officials declined to provide a precise number.

Afghan President Ashraf Ghani said Wednesday he spoke to Biden and that he “respects the US decision.”

“Afghanistan’s proud security and defense forces are fully capable of defending its people and country, which they have been doing all along, and for which the Afghan nation will forever remain grateful,” Ghani said on Twitter.

CNN

Continue Reading

World

Officer who fatally shot Daunte Wright identified as Kimberly Potter

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Protesters, cops clash in Minnesota after fatal police shooting
Daunte Wright protesters march across Manhattan Bridge in NYC

Biden: Daunte Wright protesters have no justification for looting

Timberwolves-Nets game postponed after Daunte Wright shooting

The Minnesota police officer who fatally shot a black man during a Sunday traffic stop has been identified as 26-year veteran Kimberly Potter.

The 48-year-old officer’s identity was released Monday night by the Minnesota Department of Public Safety Bureau of Criminal Apprehension.

Potter acquired her Minnesota police officer’s license in 1995 and the age of 22 and began working for the Brooklyn Center Police Department shortly after, according to state records reviewed by the Star Tribune, who first named the officer.

ALSO READ:  Vatican Reports First Case Of Coronavirus

During her career, Potter has served on the department’s negotiation team, the newspaper reported.

Potter has been placed on administrative leave following the fatal shooting of 20-year-old Daunte Wright.

Daunte Wright.

Daunte Wright.

Biden on Daunte Wright protesters: ‘Absolutely no justification’ for looting
Brooklyn Center Police Chief Time Gannon has said the officer mistook her gun for a Taser.

Police bodycam footage released Monday shows the officer yelling “Taser! Taser!” as others struggled with Wright in his car.

The video shows Wright stepping out of his car, then leaping back behind the wheel and driving off.

“Holy s–t,” the officer is heard saying on the video. “I just shot him!”

ALSO READ:  China Approves Two Coronavirus Vaccines For Human Trials

Potter is married to a former police officer. She has two adult sons, according to the Tribune.

In August 2019, she was one the first responding officers to the police shooting of Kobe Dimock-Heisler, the report said.

Two officers involved in the shooting were told by Potter to “to exit the residence, get into separate squad cars, turn off their body worn cameras, and to not talk to each other,” according to a Hennepin County Attorney’s Office investigative report.

The Minnesota police officer who fatally shot Daunte Wright has reportedly been identified as 25-year veteran Kimberly Potter.

Nypost.com

Continue Reading

World

Nigerian man disguises as a woman to escape after killing another foreigner

Published

on

By

Nigerian man disguises as a woman to escape after killing another foreigner
Spread the love

Nigerian man disguises as a woman to escape after allegedly killing another foreigner in Libya

A Nigerian national has been arrested in Msallata town, northwestern part of Libya over the alleged murder of another foreigner.

According to The Libya Observer, the Nigerian allegedly killed the foreigner, stole his money and tried to escape the town disguised as a woman.
However, he was arrested by security forces in Msallata.

“Security forces in Msallata town have arrested a foreigner from #Nigeria for killing another foreigner before stealing all his money. The killer disguised himself as a woman in an attempt to escape from the town” the report says.

ALSO READ:  Mali coup leaders meet mediators seeking return to civilian rule

Nigerian man disguises as a woman to escape after killing another foreigner

Nigerian man disguises as a woman to escape after killing another foreigner

Nigerian man disguises as a woman to escape after killing another foreigner

Continue Reading

Trending