Barring any last-minute hitches, President Muhammadu Buhari will this morning receive a report of the probe panel he set up in July this year to investigate various allegations of wrongdoing against suspended EFCC acting Chairman, Ibrahim Magu.
The panel has a retired Chief Judge of the Court of Appeal, Justice Ayo Salami as chairman. Villa sources told Nigerian Tribune in Abuja late Thursday that everything was set for the President to receive the report in the late morning.
The source, however, declined to give details of the report but said everything had been tidied up Magu, a commissioner of police was first arrested in traffic on July 6 by men of the Department of State Services (DSS) and whisked away to the Villa, where the panel was sitting.
22-point allegations against Magu titled “Flagrant Abuse of Office and Other Infractions Against EFCC Chairman, Ibrahim Magu” had previously been submitted by Malami to Buhari.
According to Malami, “the Acting Chairman of EFCC is not acting in the overall best interest of the country and the policies of this administration due to its mismanagement and lack of transparency in managing recovered assets; diversion of recovered assets for personal enrichment; neglecting to investigate the P & ID case as directed by the President; flagrant disobedience to directives and to court orders due to the following;
“Final Report of the Presidential Committee on Audit Of Recovered Assets (PCARA): mismanagement and lack of transparency in managing recovered assets: mismanagement of recovered assets and diversion for personal enrichment: an investigation of P&ID: failure to provide timely response on the investigation of cases/ individuals relating to legal/consultancy fees in The Paris Club Refunds to states & LGAs: threatening of judicial officers: and petitions against the acting chairman.
On July 10, Minister of Justice and Attorney General of the Federation, Mr Abubakar Malami SAN announced the suspension of Magu from office. The statement issued on Malami’s behalf by his Special Assistant on Media, Umar Gwandu read in part: “President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the immediate suspension of Ibrahim Magu as Ag. Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in order to allow for an unhindered inquiry by the Presidential Investigation Panel under the Tribunals of Inquiry Act and other relevant laws”.
CBN Denies Freezing #EndSARS Promoters’ Accounts
The Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele, has faulted claim that his bank obtained court orders to block accounts associated with promoters of the #EndSARS protests.
Emefiele’s position was stated by his lawyer, former Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mike Aondoakaa (SAN) while appearing before a Federal High Court in Abuja.
Aondoakaa is the CBN Governor’s lawyer in the case, marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/1384/2020)of CBN v. Bolatito Rachael Oduala and 19 others in which Justice Ahmed Mohammed granted an order freezing the accounts of the defendants for 90 minutes in the first instance.
The former AGF spoke while reacting to remarks by Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa (SAN), lawyer to Albert A. Ugochuwu and others, whose accounts were also frozen in similar circumstance by another judge, Justice Taiwo Taiwo in the case marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/12000/2020.
Aondoakaa, who insisted that his client acted within the provision of Section 60 (b) of the Bank and other Financial Institutions Act (BOFIA), allows the CBN to apply pending for a freezing order pending conclusion of investigation.
The ex-AGF faulted claim by Adegboruwa that the CBN was going about filing multiple cases to freeze people’s accounts, including those linked with the #EndSARS protests.
He said the CBN did not apply for the freezing of any accounts because of the owners were associated with the #EndSARS protests.
Aondoakaa stated that his client only applied to have the accounts frozen on suspecting questionable transactions in the accounts.
He noted that none of those affected by the orders have claimed, in the processes they filed, that they are #EndSARS protesters.
Arguing earlier, Adegboruwa accused the CBN of filing multiple cases to freeze accounts of people indiscriminately. He cited the case of those associated with the #EndSARS protests.
He argued that the CBN a misconception of Section 60(b) of the BOFIA, and that the CBN lacks the power to conduct investigation into alleged infraction of the law.
Adegboruwa noted that the CBN came before the court on September 21, 2020 and obtained the freezing order pending the conclusion of its investigation.
“The law permitting the CBN to approach the court makes it a clearing house. Not to investigate. The CBN is arrogating the powers of the investigating agencies. The CBN lacks the power to investigate crimes,” he said.
Adegboruwa prayed the court to vacate the order earlier made by the court and dismiss the CBN’s suit.
Justice Taiwo has adjourned till December 16 for ruling.
FG Delivers Relief Items To Families Of Slain Farmers In Borno (photos)
FG DELEGATION DELIVERS RELIEF ITEMS TO FAMILIES OF SLAIN FARMERS IN BORNO
The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development has officially visited families and the community of the 43 famers who were killed by extremists last Saturday in Zabarmari community located in Jere Local Government Area of the State.
The Minister who represented President Muhammadu Buhari led a seven man delegation to express sadness over the incident where 43 farmers were gruesomely murdered on rice fields located on the outskirts of Borno.
In her remarks, the Minister described the killing as gruesome and unacceptable to any religion.
“Your Excellency, I am here to convey the sympathy of the Federal Government to the Government and people of Borno State over the sad incident which occurred on Saturday 28th November 2020 in Zabarmari community in Jere Local Government Area of the State where innocent citizens were gruesomely murdered by Boko Haram insurgents.
“It is shocking to imagine this act of gruesome murder by the insurgents. This cannot be justified under any guise. We are all aware that our religion is against what has happened to the innocent and hardworking farmers that were not only working to feed themselves but contributing to the food security of the nation.
“His Excellency, the President and Commander-in-Chief Muhammadu Buhari GCFR is saddened by the attack and has directed me to come here to deliver relief support from the Federal Government to families of the victims and other affected persons”.
Responding, Governor Zulum thanked President Buhari for sending emissaries through the federal government delegation and appealed to him to implement the recommendations made by the state to stamp out insurgency in the North East.
“I also appeal to the minister of Humanitarian Affairs to develop a roadmap to help tackle the menace of insurgency in the country.
“We don’t have good roads networks and this has impeded the state’s efforts in fighting the insurgents, so we appeal to you assist the North East by developing a raadmap that will see to the end of these senseless killings”.
The minister visited the Zambarmari community Mosque to sympathize with the community leaders and later handed over 13,000 bags of 12.5kg rice, 13,000 bags of 12.5kg maize, 13,000 bags of 25kg beans, 1,300 kegs of vegetable oil, 2,116 cartons of seasoning, 1,083 cartons of tin tomato and 650 bags of salt to the state government for onward distribution to the families of affected persons and people of Zabarmari community .
Apart from the 43 persons who were confirmed dead and subsequently buried on Saturday, the District Head of the community Lawan Abba Umar stated that more than 100 farmers were still missing after the incident and were currently being sought after by the combined team of the military and other security agencies.
NNEKA IKEM ANIBEZE
Boko Haram Attacks An International Conspiracy To Split Nigeria – Army
The Nigerian Army has said that the Boko Haram attacks are an international conspiracy to “cut Nigeria to size” and to destabilise the peace of the country.
The Acting Director, Army Public Relations, Col Sagir Musa, stated this, claiming that there are some international paymasters sponsoring Boko Haram.
Musa stated this in an article he shared on social media and with journalists.
The army spokesman said, “The recent killing of our people on a rice farm in Borno State was unexpected, inhuman, cowardly, dastardly and sadistic cruelty by the Boko Haram terrorists. There is no normal human being that will take pleasure in such inhuman massacre of defenceless and armless civilians, working on their farms; but that is the nature of terrorism and those who sponsor it.
“There is an international conspiracy to cut Nigeria to size and compromise national renegades making attempts to destabilise and dismember Nigeria if possible in subservience to the international paymasters; who are the owners of Boko Haram. They train them, arm them, finance them and supply their logistics.
“Without this treacherous international support of Boko Haram; they would have since been defeated. Yet, we can defeat them through our unity and unflinching support and encouragement of our security forces, particularly the military.”
News2 months ago
Nigeria will support Joe Biden with $600M as a pay back to Trump who supported IPOB – Lai Mohammed
Entertainment11 months ago
Bird turn into naked beautiful woman after been knocked down by Driver (video)
News11 months ago
Thunderous C2IFG “Own Your Life Campaign” Retreat That Storm Whole Of Abuja
World6 months ago
US PRESIDENT CANCELLED BILL GATES PROJECT KNOWN AS ID2020.
News5 months ago
President Buhari Considering Fresh Nation-wide Lockdown, Gives Reasons
News4 months ago
Ex Gov. of Ekiti, Fayose condems former President, Olusegun Obasanjo for his comment about late Buruji Kashamu.
Gossip9 months ago
Lady mistakenly uploaded her n@kkɛd video on social media
Gossip5 months ago
Makeup artist allegedly slumps and dies while dancing at her birthday party in Jos