Democrat Joe Biden on Saturday pledged to be a “president for all Americans,” after US networks projected he has defeated Republican incumbent Donald Trump in their bitterly contested election.
“The work ahead of us will be hard, but I promise you this: I will be a President for all Americans — whether you voted for me or not,” the 77-year-old former vice president said in a tweet.
“With the campaign over, it’s time to put the anger and the harsh rhetoric behind us and come together as a nation,” he said in a separate statement.
“It’s time for America to unite. And to heal.”
America, I’m honored that you have chosen me to lead our great country.
The work ahead of us will be hard, but I promise you this: I will be a President for all Americans — whether you voted for me or not.
I will keep the faith that you have placed in me. pic.twitter.com/moA9qhmjn8
— Joe Biden (@JoeBiden) November 7, 2020
The result of Tuesday’s election had been on a razor’s edge for days as a handful of battleground states including Pennsylvania, Georgia, Arizona and Nevada remained uncalled.
But with all major US networks projecting that Biden won Pennsylvania, the Democrat now stands at 273 electoral votes, beyond the magic majority number of 270 needed in the Electoral College that determines the president.
“We did it. We did it Joe,” his running mate Kamala Harris — set to become the first woman vice president — told Biden in a phone call, according to a short video clip she posted to Twitter.
“You’re going to be the next president of the United States.”
Harris, a US senator whose historic win means she also becomes the first woman of color and first Asian-American in the position, also said in a separate tweet that the election is “about so much more than @JoeBiden or me. It’s about the soul of America and our willingness to fight for it,”
— Kamala Harris (@KamalaHarris) November 7, 2020
“We have a lot of work ahead of us. Let’s get started,” the 56-year-old said.
Residents of the US capital Washington were seen flooding into the streets in celebration, while Democratic lawmakers including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi offered their congratulations and spoke of “a new day” in America after four tumultuous years of Trump.
#EndSARS: Twitter Didn’t Suspend My Account – Lai Mohammed
EndSARS: Twitter Didn’t Suspend My Account – Lai Mohammed
Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed on Tuesday said reports that his Twitter account has been suspended is nothing but fake news which should be ignored.
Speaking with Daily Independent, the Minister who denied having a personal Twitter account said all information concerning his activities are done on the official Twitter account of the Ministry of Information and Culture @FMICNigeria.
He said many parody social media accounts have been created in his name which people have erroneously linked to him.
” The report that my Twitter account has been suspended is nothing but fake news as I don’t have a Twitter account. All Information on the activities of the Ministry are posted on the official Twitter account @FMICNigeria”.
” So, the rumour should be disregarded. It’s nothing but fake news” he said.
Twitter To Hand @POTUS Account To Biden On Inauguration Day
In this photo illustration, a Twitter logo is displayed on a mobile phone with President Trump’s Twitter page shown in the background on May 27, 2020, in Arlington, Virginia.(Photo by Olivier DOULIERY / AFP) (Photo by OLIVIER DOULIERY/AFP via Getty Images)
Twitter confirmed Saturday it will hand control of the presidential @POTUS account to Joe Biden when he is sworn in on inauguration day, even if President Donald Trump has not conceded his election loss.
“Twitter is actively preparing to support the transition of White House institutional Twitter accounts on January 20th, 2021,” the social network said in a statement to AFP.
“As we did for the presidential transition in 2017, this process is being done in close consultation with the National Archives and Records Administration,” the statement said.
The handover will see all existing tweets on @POTUS, as well as @FLOTUS (the First Lady), @VP (vice president) and other official accounts, archived.
The accounts will then be reset to zero tweets and transferred to the incoming Biden White House that day.
Trump, who still has not conceded his November 3 loss, used Twitter to help build his political brand and, later, wield the power of the presidency — though he mainly uses his personal account, @realDonaldTrump, whose 88 million followers dwarf @POTUS’s 32 million.
The @POTUS account is largely used to retweet Trump’s personal account, as well as the White House and other accounts.
Trump’s frequent habit of abruptly announcing new policies on the platform has led to long-standing complaints of governing by tweet.
Twitter has long come under pressure to curb the president’s use of the site to spread misinformation and conspiracy theories.
Since the election, the company has slapped warning labels on many Trump tweets as he continues to insist — despite all evidence to the contrary — that he won the vote, and that Biden’s victory is due to massive fraud.
Biden, for his part, is a far more sedate Twitter user. He has sent fewer than 7,000 tweets to his 19 million followers, compared to Trump’s 58,000.
Twitter Suspends Permanently The Account Of U.S White House Strategist
Twitter permanently suspended an account associated with former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon, after he suggested in a video posted online Thursday that Dr. Anthony Fauci and FBI Director Christopher Wray should be beheaded.
Bannon made the comments calling for medieval violence during a livestream of his talk show and podcast, War Room: Pandemic.
“I’d put the heads on pikes. Right. I’d put them at the two corners of the White House. As a warning to federal bureaucrats: Either get with the program or you’re gone,” he said in the now-deleted video previously posted on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube. However, it has been recirculated through other accounts.
CNN reported the video was viewed at least 200,000 times on Facebook before it was deleted.
The show’s Twitter account, @WarRoomPandemic, was suspended after it posted the video. It violated the social media website’s “policy on the glorification of violence,” a Twitter spokesperson told NPR.
Facebook and YouTube removed the video, saying it violated their policies against inciting violence and harassment, according to company spokespeople.
Bannon’s message comes as some members of President Trump’s inner circle have amped up inflammatory rhetoric while the election results remain unresolved. Donald Trump Jr. said this week the president should “go to total war” over the election. Cc:@npr
News2 months ago
Nigeria will support Joe Biden with $600M as a pay back to Trump who supported IPOB – Lai Mohammed
Entertainment11 months ago
Bird turn into naked beautiful woman after been knocked down by Driver (video)
News11 months ago
Thunderous C2IFG “Own Your Life Campaign” Retreat That Storm Whole Of Abuja
World6 months ago
US PRESIDENT CANCELLED BILL GATES PROJECT KNOWN AS ID2020.
News5 months ago
President Buhari Considering Fresh Nation-wide Lockdown, Gives Reasons
News4 months ago
Ex Gov. of Ekiti, Fayose condems former President, Olusegun Obasanjo for his comment about late Buruji Kashamu.
Gossip9 months ago
Lady mistakenly uploaded her n@kkɛd video on social media
Gossip5 months ago
Makeup artist allegedly slumps and dies while dancing at her birthday party in Jos