Connect with us

News

Police Set To Raise 1,850 Operatives For SWAT

Published

on

EndSARS: No Unit Has Been Created To Replace SARS Yet - Police
Spread the love

The Nigeria Police Force (NPF) is to kick start the recently created Special Weapons and Tactics Teams (SWAT) Unit with 1,850 operatives in the states of the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory FCT Abuja any time from now, a credible source at the Force Headquarters, revealed this to Tribune Online.

The source said that already, Commissioners of Police in the 36 States and the Federal Capital Territory, (FCT) Command have been directed to submit 50 names of personnel per state for the scheme.

The source further revealed that the CPs were strictly advised that no former member of the defunct SARS should be included on the list and that “the nominees should not have any pending or decided disciplinary case (s) and must be of impeccable character.”

A letter with reference number CB:4770/YBS/ SHQ /SUB.1/89 dated 14 October, 2020 and signed by the Deputy Commissioner of Police (Admin) in Yobe State directed Police Area Commanders, Divisional Police officers and Officers in-charge to release the affected officers serving in their formations.

The letter titled: “Training of Nigeria Police Special Weapons and Tactics Teams (SWAT) to replace the disbanded Special AntiRobbery Squad (SARS),” says: “The Commissioner of Police warn and release the affected officers serving in your formations/Divisions to report at SHQ Damaturu on Friday 16 October, 2020 by 0800hrs prompt for CP’s briefing.”

On the document were 50 names of police officers made up of two Chief Superintendents of Police (CSPs), two Superintendents of Police, four Deputy Superintendents of Police (DS P), five Assistant Superintendents of Police (ASP), three Inspectors, 30 sergeants and four corporals.

The source said that all necessary arrangements had been concluded to ensure the immediate take-off of the training and formal launching of the new Security outfit by the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Abubakar Adamu Though efforts to get the reaction of the Force Public Relations Officer, FPRO, Frank Mba, a Deputy Commissioner of Police DCP, over the development proved abortive, however another Senior Police Officer at the Force Headquarters in Abuja confirmed the story.

According to him, “yes, we are commencing the training of SWAT Operatives anytime from now, each State Police Command and the FCT has been mandated to submit 50 names for the take-off of the pilot scheme, we are good to go now.”


Spread the love
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

News

Anambra Police in tears over killing of members, burning of 11 stations, others

Published

on

Anambra Police in tears over killing of members, burning of 11 stations, others
Spread the love

…arrests 17 suspects, recover arms

Anambra State Police command Wednesday wept over the killing of four of it’s members and burning of eleven Police Stations by the Hoodlums.

During the mayhem, two Divisional Police Officers DPOs in the state were killed, while an Inspector of Police was beheaded and his body burnt.

As a result, 17 suspects from Anambra, Abia and Ebonyi states have been arrested by the command in respect to the arson and killings, while some arms have equally been recovered.

Parading the suspects Wednesday at the Police headquarters in Amawbia, the Commissioner of Police, John Abang said the command was still in manhunt for the other fleeing suspects.

He said those who were involved in one way or the other during the mayhem in Anambra State must face the music.

According to Abang, “It is now common knowledge that hoodlums acting under the guise of “ENDSARS” protest attacked Police Stations in some parts of the State which resulted into loss of lives, looting and wanton destruction of properties.

“The hoodlums set ablaze eleven (11) Police Stations; burnt over twenty (20) vehicles including patrol & exhibit vehicles and an Armoured Personnel Carrier (APC).

“They also vandalized six (6) other Police Stations and carted away motorcycles kept as exhibits. The Police also lost some rifles during the attacks.

Read Also: Hoodlums burn police station in Ebonyi
“In the course of these heinous acts, the hoodlums murdered four (4) Police officers including the Divisional Police Officer (DPO), Osumenyi Division, CSP Akpan Joseph, ASP Agu Micheal, the Station Officer (SO), Osumenyi Division and a young PC Udegbunam Sunday Celestine leaving two (2) others injured.

“In their state of callousness, the hoodlums also murdered and beheaded Insp John Oche attached to the Anti- Cult Unit and burnt his body to ashes parading the streets with the deceased policeman’s head.

“In addition to attacking Police formations, other Government and private facilities such as the Revenue House, Ocha Brigade office and private Trucks loaded with goods were attacked and valuable properties looted.

Despite concerted efforts by the hoodlums to create a state of lawlessness in the State, the Command stood its ground and repelled their attacks in various formations such as Area Command Onitsha, Ogidi, Awada, CPS Onitsha, Inland town and ‘B’ Divisions.

Meanwhile, in the course of the decisive action by the Police, the following suspects were arrested in connection with the incidents with several exhibits including one pump action,one Axe,three cutlass,one smoke grenade and some quantities of dry leaves suspected to be cannabis sativa.

“One (1) AK47 Rifle stolen from Ogbunike Division has been recovered by operatives of the Command.

He mentioned the suspects Matthew Vincent (29) Ebonyi State,Aguonu chinedu Victor ( 24) from Nnewi,Ezenagwu Ekene (32 ) from Awka ,Chukwuebuka Obianefo (36 ) from Ihiala and Okonkwo Stanley ( 37) from Abia State.

Others were, Obumneme Omezuluike (30) from Abia, Onyiuke Odinaka Izuchukwu (26 ) from Njikoka , Chukwuweike Enweozo (30) from Onitsha ,Chibuzo Otiaba (22 ) Njikoka and Ebuka Nkwoego (26) from Ebonyi.

Also, Emmanuel Okafor ( 21 ) Anambra East ,
Kelechi Onyekwere (34) Abia ,Onyeka Egbemadu (23 ) Ihiala ,Samson Okoli ( 23) Ihiala ,Ugochukwu Nwagboso ( 38 ) Ihiala Nwankpa Ejike (26 ) Ebonyi and,
Nwankpa Izuchukwu from Ebonyi

Abang further said, that Investigation was ongoing adding that efforts were being intensified to apprehend other fleeing suspects in order to bring them to book.

However, he commended the patriotic Youths, Traditional and Community leaders, vigilance groups, sister agencies and residents of Anambra State who according to him, contributed immensely to the overall successes recorded by the Command in calming the situation

He said, “I want to reiterate my appreciation to his Excellency, the Executive Governor of Anambra State, Chief (Dr.) Willie M. Obiano for his invaluable support to the law enforcement agencies in the State.

” I also encourage the good people of Anambra State to be security conscious at all times; and report any strange behaviour or suspicious movements to the nearest Police Station.”


Spread the love
Continue Reading

News

Governor Fintiri Vows To Demolish Houses Containing Looted Goods

Published

on

Governor Fintiri Vows To Demolish Houses Containing Looted Goods
Spread the love

End SARS: Fintiri to begin door-to-door search, vows to demolish houses containing looted goods in Adamawa.

Governor Ahmadu Fintiri of Adamawa State has given 12 hours to looters to return their loot or houses containing such goods will be demolished.

The governor, who made a broadcast Tuesday evening amid a 24-hour curfew he imposed earlier on Sunday following looting of government and private warehouses by thugs who went wild in the guise of End SARS protests, said the havoc done by the thugs especially mass looting around the state capital, Yola, was horrendous.

He said, “I am giving a 12 hour ultimatum (6:00 pm – 6:00 am) to the hoodlums to return whatever they looted from public and private warehouses and homes to the nearest Police Station and traditional rulers’ houses (from the ward to the district level), whichever is nearest to them.

“This ultimatum will expire at 6:00 am on Wednesday, 28th – October, 2020, after which I will sign an Executive Order for a house-to-house search to commence by 7:00 am of the same day.

“Part of the provision of the order is a sanction that will attract withdrawal of C of O and if necessary, demolition of every house that habours any of the stolen properties. Law abiding citizens should cooperate with the security agencies to ensure this is enforced to the letter.”

He said he had received briefings of what had happened since Sunday morning, and listed places that were affected.

“With shock, we received the report of attacks on the Customs Office, Road Safety, Primary Healthcare Development Agency, NEMA office, COVID-19 Isolation Centre at Kofare, North East Commodity Association (NECAS) Kofare, public and private warehouses in Demsawo, Nyako Quarters, opposite airport, behind Zenith Bank, Bakin Kogi, Mayanka, Upper Benue, AADP, LEA, Yola South, Red Cross opposite FMC, Aliyu Mustafa College; Dr. Belel’s workshop, private farms, etc,” Fintiri said.

He reiterated that although his government was still taking stock, to the best of his knowledge so far, the extent of loot and damages to properties of government and private entities is immense.

“The loss is materially colossal but more enormous is the loss of moral values driven by greedy criminal urge to steal. We condemn in strong terms the outright demonstration of brigandage as barbaric, criminal and a recipe for anarchy,” the governor said.

He apologized to all Adamawa people for the acts of the hoodlums, saying, “As a Government, we take full responsibility for all the hardship attendant upon by the curfew era on decent and hardworking citizens.

“The other two categories of people I greatly owe apologies to are the vulnerable especially at the 21 LGAs who would have been the beneficiaries of the looted goods but were denied because of the activities of the hoodlums; and the owners of the private warehouses, shops and properties looted. I truly feel your pain.”

He assured that the reprieve which the state had had from the hoodlums since Monday afternoon would be sustained.

He said, “As a responsible government, we cannot fold our hands while criminals are trying to take over our society. We are working round the clock to ensure that peace is returned to our society. Working with the security agencies, we have activated the necessary instrument for a return to normalcy and arrest of the looters.”

He disclosed that so far 155 suspects are in police custody while nine Vehicles and 12 tricycles loaded with loot have also been impounded.


Spread the love
Continue Reading

News

Lekki Shooting: Sanwo-Olu To React To Army’s Statement

Published

on

Lekki Shooting: Sanwo-Olu To React To Army’s Statement
Spread the love

Sanwo-olu To React To Army’s Statement Soon, Govt Source Assures

Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu will react later today to the claims by Nigerian Army that the state government invited soldiers to restore sanity at Lekki Toll Gate.

The Nigerian Army, on a statement Tuesday night, said that the decision to deploy its men to Lekki Tollgate on October 20, where peaceful #EndSARS protesters were gathered, was based on the request of the Lagos State government.

When contacted to react on the claim, Lagos State government official who spoke on anonymity, said, ‘The state governor will react to this at the appropriate time, probably, later today.

“We have to be very careful in making a careless statement. It is a very sensitive issue. That’s all I can say for now.”

The Nigerian Army, Tuesday, finally broke its silence on the Lekki Tollgate shootings in Lagos, exonerating its men from shooting at the #EndSARS protesters last Tuesday.

it described the allegation of killing of protesters by soldiers as unfounded, attributing it to the handiwork of mischief-makers.

The statement read: “The attention of Headquarters 81 Division of the Nigerian Army has been drawn to a viral video on social media in which it was alleged that civilians protesters were massacred by soldiers at the Lekki Toll plaza.

“This allegation is untrue, unfounded and aimed at causing anarchy in the country. At no time did soldiers of the Nigerian Army open fire on any civilian.

“From the onset of the EndSARS protest, there was no time personnel of 81 Division Nigerian Army, Lagos was involved.

“However, the decision to call in the Military was taken by the Lagos State Government after a 24-hour curfew was imposed. This was as a result of the violence which led to several police stations being burnt, policemen killed, suspects in police custody released and weapons carted away.

“The situation was fast degenerating into anarchy. It was at this point that Lagos State Government requested the Military to intervene, in order to restore normalcy.

“The intervention of the Military followed all laid down procedures for internal security operations. And all the soldiers involved acted within the confines of the Rules of Engagement, ROE for internal security operations.

“Finally, headquarters 81 Division Nigerian Army reiterates that the Nigerian Army in the discharge of its constitutional responsibilities did not shoot at any civilian as there are glaring and convincing pieces of evidences to attest to this fact.

“This allegation is the handwork of mischief makers who will stop at nothing to tarnish the image of the Nigerian Army. The general public is hereby enjoined to discountenance this allegation, as there is no iota of truth therein.”


Spread the love
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending

%d bloggers like this: